Front Door ideas?
(08-24-2016, 03:53 PM)AlanS Wrote: I, too, plan to make a front door.  Luckily, mine will be all glass with a 6" stile and top rail, 14" bottom rail.  It will be round top.   What wood?   Mahagony, white oak?   How do I prevent eventual warping?  I could do a stave-core, but I am concerned that the 'veneer' (I guess about 1/8"-1/4") could de-laminate.  There will be a storm door to protect from the direct elements.    Thoughts?

Mahogany or white oak are both are fine, depends on the finished look you want.  

I make my stave cores using LVL ripped then turned perpendicular to the original and reglued. much faster just as strong. I use both 1/8" and 1/4" veneers  depending on the door style and glue with T2 then clamp in a vacuum press, but you can do the same with lots of clamps and a couple of cauls. 

I laminate the  rails top and bottom using solid 4/4 stock and building the top big enough to cut the radii out of. On true radius doors ( full half circle) I build two parts and spline them at the top center and land the rails on top of the stiles. It is IMO a much more elegant and sturdy door this way. . I use plastic resin glue here for the long open time.  Once this is complete I cut the length including tongues then I cut the inside radius out (accurately
Wink ) I use a jig to shape the arches. 
 Once the door is assembled I cut the top if it is radiused It is far easier than trying to fit the stiles and rail top after assembly  than before. 
that is the nickel version. PM me if you want more detailed info.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-24-2016, 10:08 AM)JGrout Wrote: You are excluding the center mullion if you are talking about 1 window.  and you can get shorter units than 13"
This page shows most options available
Joe
Thanks Joe.  Looks promising.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer