Hooking up a Festool sander to a shop vac
I have a Festool #125 random orbital sander that I would like to hook up to my shop vac. The shop vac has a 2.5" anti static hose. Do you know what hose adaptor I need to hook this hose to the sander and where can I buy one? Thanks.
The Bosch hoses fit the Festool stuff, and I think they're 15% off at Amazon now. Also I had a Porter Cable 1" vac hose that was made to fit their sanders and routers but it also fit the round Festool ports. I don't know if they still make that though since the company was bastardized.

Be aware that no matter what adapter you use you will need a way to reduce the suction for the sander to work right. Most just drill a bleeder hole in the adapter somewhere.

You will want a longer hose anyway. Sanding with a 2.5" 8' long hose stuck to the sander isn't for the faint of heart. I used that porter cable hose hooked to my shop vac hose for many years before I finally ponied up for a Festool vacuum. (Still can't bring myself to call it a dust extractor though)

Just checked Amazon, they still make that hose. It's $20 + shipping. "Porter cable pw382"
-Marc

I would get a smaller hose for the vac (1 1/4" or whatever it is) and then use whatever it take to connect to the sander. Using a sander with a 2.5" hose would be a little unhandy anyway.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If someone here doesn't have an easier solution, you can make an adaptor out of wood. You can also make an adaptor out of PVC or ABS pipe and fittings. Use a heat gun or a wrap of tape if you need to tweak the fit. Fernco flexible plumbing couplings come in many sizes. Auto parts stores have silicone and neoprene air intake adaptors in many sizes. Spectra is one brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdB3TFOSDU
Rockler has a hose that works. Its what I'm using to connect my 150 festool sander to my fein Turbo 4.

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-univer...t-hose-kit

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Fein offers an excellent stepped adapter.  They are also pretty cheap, can be cut down, and are made of a hard flexible material.  I bought two off Amazon and wish I would of done it years ago.

I have used both the Fein Step Adapter and the Rocker hose and both work well. The Rockler Hose tends to pull back but I drape it over my shoulder.

You can also put a Fein Y adapter on the Vacuum which dependent on your vacuum can give you a crude level of suction control by drilling different sized holes.
No one has mentioned it so far but the Bosch VAC005 is a five meter hose that would probably fit your vacuum and your sander without further need for an adapter.  I ordered one and went to Home Depot and tried it on their entire Rigid line and, except for the 1.75 inch vacuum, it fit on all of them.  I then tried it on my Festool sanders and the working end fit all of them too.  It is, however, not anti-static.  But it is such a deal at $20.96 at Amazon.com now.  A number of folks on the Festool forum are rather fond of these hoses.
(10-12-2016, 08:39 PM)Browning Wrote:  But it is such a deal at $20.96 at Amazon.com now.

Do you have a link for the Bosch hose? Not seeing it for $20....

I'm assuming this will fit the $99 Festool sander deal I was able to get in on.
I looked at it about 7:00 am this morning and it was $20, now it's $40....they must have seen this thread.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.