Question about wood itself
Do a variation of(maple and walnut):[Image: 2015-12-14%2017.20.06_zpsb0fzk99r.jpg]
(08-23-2016, 09:47 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Do a variation of(maple and walnut):[Image: 2015-12-14%2017.20.06_zpsb0fzk99r.jpg]

Wow that is a nice looking cutting board or carrying tray, what finish?

Steve
you may want to do some research on your purple heart & blood wood. I spent a week in the hospital in April because of blood wood. An old woodworker told me that purple heart has the same bacteria as blood wood. When you cut into it, it opens the bacteria up in the wood. My wife was wanting purple heart for some pens. That's when we found out about the bacteria. I got sick the first of April w/what my Dr thought was the flu. He finally admitted me to the hospital, & ran blood work. He said I had Giardea. It normally lives around water, small ponds, etc., & cattle carry it too. I hadn't been around any of those. He went to doing more research, & and wanted to know what types of lumber I'd been around at that time. When I mentioned blood wood, he said it carries a lot of bacteria when you open it up. I'd been cutting feathers for dream catchers out of it. He said the more research he done, the worse it got. He got his answer. Long story short, I now wear a mask when I have to handle blood wood, & the purple heart is still at the lumber store. Just FYI.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
It would be wise to wear a mask to keep the fines of any wood out of your lungs. Sure some is reactive, and could cause an allergy response, but all of it is junk to your lungs that is hard, if not impossible to expel, once it get's there.

Back to the original question. Working with the wood you may be exposed to an allergic response, if you have an allergy to it. If that is a concern you would do well to know which species bother you, and if you do have a wood allergy, how does it work with you? Only if you breath it in? Or simply if you touch the wood? Good dust collection, and air cleaners will be your best friends, and wearing PPE will finish the steps that would be smart to take with any wood if you've had an allergy to one. If you are not sure, but want to eliminate possible problems. Use a list like this one to eliminate the "usual suspects"

Going past this to finishing something, and giving it as a gift. Any wood could be used if buried under a proper finish. All finishes are safe to use if they are completely dry. I would steer clear of finishes like paint, which is know to chip off and crack if you disturb it much.

Probably the most important thing is to let the recipient know that the finish is NOT to be put in a dishwasher, and it needs to come back to you for regular re-treatments of finish based on how much use it gets.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW