Edge-Joining Plywood to Hardwood
I'm building a cabinet from some scrap and hardwood and I need to extend the width of the boards, which will serve as cabinet sides, from 20" to 25".

The idea is to edge join 5" width plywood to get the size I need.

The edges of the hardwood are not perfectly square. So I assume it is a good idea to file them square and also glue-block over the seam from the inside.

If I'm not going about this the correct way, I'd appreciate any advice. (Upon finishing I'd like it to be seamless).

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257...0bp7c8.jpg

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
joint the glue edge of the hardwood square.  Use a reinforcing technique to hold the hardwood to the plywood.  I would use biscuits.  You could use a spline or dowels or a lap joint.
I'd probably use a tongue and groove joint, but pocket screws (through the plywood into the hardwood) would also work. Perhaps you don't have either capability, but if you do, either would be better than a butt joint.

You mention filing the edges of the boards. I assume you don't have a jointer. I'd make a rip cut on the table saw (or use a straight edge guide and  a circular saw) to square up the edges. I'd have low confidence in using a file.

Seamless is a bit of a reach without the proper tools (even with them). I assume you will be painting the finished result? If so, wood putty can be your friend.
Usually it goes the other way with a large plywwod panel, and a thin edge of hardwood, but the connection is the same and it's pretty easy to do  a number of different ways

Simple Simon method is shown below

A few varieties shown below

[Image: web20708big.jpg]

The more complex method is advantageous as being stronger, due to increased glue surface. I've run out of links
Upset  
Upset  
Upset

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_..._ogee.html
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have successfully edge joined two pieces of hardwood plywood without reinforcement.  I had trouble when I used biscuits on a previous version, so I just got the edges really clean and perpendicular and glued them up.  If it's not going to see a lot of stress, I don't see why that wouldn't work
Jointing is done with either a power jointer, a jointer plane or various other ways employing straight edge guides with routers or tablesaws, etc.

Once both the ply and the board are jointed square, they may be glued in various ways employing splines, biscuits, dowels, etc.  or nothing just a butt joint.  I would go with biscuits especially if the ply is not perfectly flat.

I've used standard PVA wood glue many, many times to edge glue ply with no issues.
I don't really like this solution because of potential wood movement issues.
You could make the shelves adjustable, I guess, but the top and bottom of the cabinet potentially have problems, since they need to be fastened/glued to the sides.
Maybe I am being over paranoid, but I would make the cabinet 20" deep or buy another sheet or two of plywood instead.
I think it is best to make hardwood edging on plywood only about an inch or so at most.
That said, I am not an expert, maybe 5 inches is no big deal.  Just trying to help.
This won't be that hard, and i agree with most of what's already been said. I would probably use biscuits, they will help keep everything aligned as you clamp them together,  but just gluing them together will work well. The thing is, the 2 edges do need to mate properly, so the hardwood will have to be jointed, or maybe just sawn with a relatively clean cutting blade to make the joint look good.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've never heard of filing an edge for edge joining.
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw
If I read the OP correctly, he is asking about adding a plywood edge to widen hardwood, while most answers refer to the much more common adding a hardwood edge to plywood.  That's because plywood edges tend to be unsightly and easily damaged.  If you have enough solid wood, using that to add width would be preferred. 

If you must make do with plywood, I would rip the solid wood and glue the plywood in between.  If only one edge of the widened board will be visible, I suppose you could put the plywood to the back.

How best to do this depends strongly on the tools at your disposal, the experience you have to do it, and the strength required of the product.  As noted, using a file would be an unusual and quite difficult way to get an edge flat and smooth enough to be glue ready.

If you can find someone local with tools and experience, he or she can demonstrate how to use them.  If you want to use your tools to do this, it would be useful to say what they are and what you have done.  With a well-equipped shop this could be straightforward, but it could be quite a challenge in some situations.