gray wood - is there such a thing?
Some of the turners in our local club like to turn oak black/dark-gray using the iron in vinegar wash technique. I cannot remember at the moment whether they use white or red oak, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
hmm ... I'll look into that.
thanks!
Ray
(08-26-2016, 09:40 PM)iclark Wrote: I cannot remember at the moment whether they use white or red oak, though.

WO has the tannin's that complete the reaction. I have seen many attempts with minerals and the only one I have seen with any uniform consistency is Mahagony washed with Slaked Lime, and it works like magic. It gives that million dollar finish you want with Mahogany, and does it as you stand there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I just watched one video, so far, on YT on this technique and this is the approach I'll start with.
Thanks!
Ray
(08-27-2016, 08:58 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I just watched one video, so far, on YT on this technique and this is the approach I'll start with.
Thanks!

It would be great if you could take some before and after pics. I think that we all would like to learn how well it works for you (or not).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

Persimmon is naturally grey and very hard; would make a good electric guitar
I will post pictures if he decides to go this route. He changes his mind more often than his mother. Now he''s thinking about painting it! Ugh
Ray
(08-31-2016, 10:44 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I will post pictures if he decides to go this route. He changes his mind more often than his mother. Now he''s thinking about painting it! Ugh

Laugh
Laugh I am going to have to steal that description.
Laugh
Laugh

I agree with the "Ugh."