Hollow chisel mortising set
So who makes a high quality mortising chisel and bit? I am looking for a 3/4 and 1" that will hold an edge very well in my General 75-075. Seems like A2 would do well, but I don't know of anyone that makes them in A2.
BontzSawWorks.net
(08-22-2016, 08:05 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: So who makes a high quality mortising chisel and bit? I am looking for a 3/4 and 1"  that will hold an edge very well in my General 75-075. Seems like A2 would do well, but I don't know of anyone that makes them in A2.

Fisch makes some high quality chisels and bits, pretty pricey as I recall, and I noticed LV had a new product of "premium" chisels and bits; as far as I can tell, neither in A2, however.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have some of the wood river ones and they are ok. However not a great quality steel. I saw the Fisch ones years ago and didn't buy them. They were dirt cheap and I assumed they were junk at the time. Now they are quite a bit higher in price.

Someone has to have some production quality ones but they would be quite pricey considering all the machining that goes into it and that is slower with good quality steel.
Ron,
I have hollow chisel mortising sets by several different manufacturers: Delta, Jet, Powermatic and Fisch. Of all of them, Fisch seem to be the best. They hold an edge fairly well and the bits don't break as easily as some of the others. Clico, the English manufacturer, used to make very high quality hollow chisel sets, but I can't find them for sale. They may no longer be available. You probably already know this, but I'll mention it anyway. Sharpening the chisels with a diamond cone and polishing the outside surfaces to a mirror shine improves their performance dramatically.
Hank
Fisch Quality products across their entire line, no TaiChinese crap here.

Lee Valley is worth an honorable mention

No matter what brand you get also get a good cone sharpener. Just like a chisel you pound, these need frequent sharpening to give great results. The LV set is a good buy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Where do you buy Fisch hollow chisels? Google came up with other cutters, but I found no hollow chisels.
William Hodge
William,
My local tool store carries them so I get mine there. Amazon carries them, so you can order them online. The problem with Amazon is that their prices on Fisch sets are outrageous. Fortunately, Joel at Tools for Working wood carries them at much more reasonable prices.

Link: https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-HB.XX

Hank
Grizzly also sells the same Star-M Brand Mortice Bits - Made in Japan as Lee Valley's premium - its the same brand as I got some from both places.  I tried a Fisch and didn't feel like they cut as well as these.  The fit and finish is better on these Star-M bits and actually better in my opinion than all the imports and ones that cost more:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-4-Prem...aign=zPage

Keep in mind there shipping is high, and Lee Valley has free shipping until the end of the month

I havn't seen anything in A2, anywhere
Star-M are great!

I have replaced half my 1940-ies set of Veljekset Mantere industrial quality bits with new bits from Star-M. I am too frugal to replace quality bits that still do their job and aren't worn out...... but Star-M are indeed superrior on softwood and birch.
I hardly ever use any of those fancy southern hardwoods so I don't know how Star-M bits work in for instance oak or beech.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-25-2016, 07:00 AM)WilliamHodge Wrote: Where do you buy Fisch hollow chisels? Google came up with other cutters, but I found no hollow chisels.
William Hodge

I've gotten both drill bits, and mortiser chisel sets from Joel at Tools for Working Wood I got mine a while back, and they are completely SS, now I see a black anodized finish on part of the chisel. Not sure if that is apples/apples for the type I have, or they have just changed the outside look since I bought?

Highland has Fisch You could get a few sizes there.

Amazon has had them hit or miss I know Ron is looking at bigger sizes, but if you do 3/4" stock work the 3/8" will be your go to most of the time.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW