Handles in Progress
Hi folks,

a quick look into my shop. The pictures show some handles with different shapes, sizes and stages of progress. It's Olive with Ebony inlay, Wenge and 3 Ebonies with MOP inlay.

[Image: P1040840.jpg]

[Image: P1040841.jpg]

[Image: P1040842.jpg]

[Image: P1040843.jpg]

Klaus
Looking good Klaus :-)
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Nice job Klaus, those are real beauty's.

Steve
Those are fantastic, Klaus. The Wenge is my favorite, but I think they are all gorgeous.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Beautiful: MOP inlay is a very nice touch!
They look super! But, isn't Wenge brittle and very splintery?
(08-23-2016, 02:24 PM)hbmcc Wrote: They look super! But, isn't Wenge brittle and very splintery?

You're right. Wenge is extremely splintery. One has to take extra care while shaping the handle, that's for sure. If you want to keep the crisp edges clean, you have to do the shaping work in a different way compared to most of the other woods. Wenge is rather open grained as well. The grain needs to be closed fairly on a tool handle what causes some extra effort. But once the hurdles are conquered, the wood shows excellent characteristics. It's hard and sturdy, very comfortable to touch and has a rather unique colour. After it's finished it's nearly black but still shows the figure in a subtle way. 

I'm not too fond of working Wenge since the risk to mess up a handle is higher than with other woods. But once it's finished I just love it.

Klaus
Looking good!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
The above shown Wenge handle got some more attention. That's the way it looks after the shaping work is done, the grain is closed and it was sanded with 2 grits. 2 more have to be done. As you can see, the edges are as crisp as they should be. It feels rather smooth already.

[Image: P1040851.jpg]

[Image: P1040849.jpg]

[Image: P1040850.jpg]

Klaus
Beautiful work, as usual. Does the MOP serve any purpose, or is it the nib of backsaws?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com