HVAc system cost
5 ton, dual fuel heat pump (propane is the other fuel), with 3 zones. 17 seer.  Had something he called 64 blower stages so the blower doesn't have to run full speed but can run any of 64 speeds (IIRC).  $20k.  Does that seem about right on price?

I have a 4 ton, 14 seer heat pump right now and its undersized, the previous owner added 650 square feet of living space and kept the existing 4 ton unit, just added more ducting to cover the new living space.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I'm working through estimates for that size system right now, but the system I'm getting quoted is fairly different...enough so that any comparison would be meaningless. The unknown to me is what the zone stuff add to the system, but if that's an air source HP it seems a little high (at least in my slice of the country).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'll ask you; I'm building a 2,000 sq ft house- how much should it cost?

See the relationship here?
the two general contractors I know well quote a price per square foot for new home construction, plus any extras.

So a 2000 sq ft house at $200 a sq ft* starts at $400,000.

*don't know what they actually charge per sq ft.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Did either contractor do a load calculation? How do you know you need 5 tons? You might just need a better working 4 ton unit. What is the sq ft of the house? It seems these days, lesser tonnage, done well, works better.

To me, $20K seems high without a complete gut of the ducting. 64 speeds just says that your blower (or compressor) is digitally controlled and isn't truly infinitely variable. But, its close enough and digital control is probably better anyway. Would 256 speeds of the same high and low limits be better? No. 16 speeds? Probably OK. two, maybe not. Choose your poison.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
He was there to service my HVAC and we started talking about a new system, he called his sales guy and that's what they came up with...wasn't a real price quote.

He said he would be happy to give me a real price quote, but if $20k is what a system like that costs, I'm going to wait a few more years using the system I have.

so I'm just trying to figure out if systems that size cost around that much, I was expecting it to be closer to $10k...but I don't really have anything to base that number off of.

Mark

For $10 to 20K I'd just add more solar and add a mini-split to the new space.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
22 new panels are going on this week.   Got upgraded from 290w panels to 300w panels for free. (its not much of an upgrade but for free so I'm not complaining)  11,700 kw total when the new system is up and running, with room on the new inverter for another 3300 kw.  Still have plenty of room on the roof for more.

the system we have is a hack job.  two different manufacturers between the condenser and air handler, hacked together ducting, the air handler in the attic isn't level, system keeps wearing out capacitors...(which seems to me there's a bigger problem somewhere) etc etc.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner found a guy who had some parts laying around and a half assed idea on how to install it but a really good price.

I've had 4 or 5 HVAC companies come work on it since we moved in 2012, and they have all asked about who installed the system...when I ask why, they all say it wasn't a good install job.

Mark

(08-23-2016, 12:30 PM)meackerman Wrote: the two general contractors I know well quote a price per square foot for new home construction, plus any extras.

So a 2000 sq ft house at $200 a sq ft* starts at $400,000.

*don't know what they actually charge per sq ft.

You mentioned "start", so the price can vary quite a bit- no?
 Perhaps the price would be $480,000 with different options?

Just like HVAC's.

Dual fuel- changes to closet or attic areas?
 Zoning- Adding ducts, changing existing duct or re-sizing? How many zones?
 Are they adding propane tanks, running new lines?
 New registers, wiring changes, drains?
 Filter systems?
 Return ducts and registers increased in size?
 Return ducts added to isolated rooms/areas?
 Wifi controlled tstats w/sensors?
 Updates to codes?
 Free one year subscription to Mad magazine?
No  Take the free toaster.
so you don't know if a system like I described starts at $1, $10k or $20k.

Mark