Welsh Stick Chair Plans
Anyone have plans for a welsh stick chair?

The only copies of John Browns book is a bit past my budget.  I am actually wanting to build a cross between a welsh stick chair and a windsor and mainly interested in the seat outline and undercarriage.
What's your time line?  PopWood is filming a video (and they usually have supplimental docs) on stick chairs with Don Weber.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Scoony,

I'm too tired to go check out John Brown's classic book right now, but from what I recall there are no plans in there, it's more his philosophy (and good stuff it is). The first book that comes to mind for your request is Drew Langsner's Chairmaker Workshop, which I believe he has available to buy again (it was out of print for a while). That is an excellent book that features plans for many different chairs. I highly recommend it.

Please post pics in the future if you should build this chair.

Kevin
Rob, Thanks, yes, I just saw a post about that this morning. Hopefully they will not take long to get it out.

Kevin, Thanks I will look into that book.  I have several books on Windsor chair building which has been helpful in being able to draw from several designs, features, and techniques for some that I want. 

I am interesting in making a set of chairs, something along the lines of the staked chair of Chris Schwarz and adding in the lower cross members. The side chairs will have the upper half similar to the staked chair while the arm chairs will have an upper similar to a welsh stick chair.
(08-24-2016, 10:05 AM)Scoony Wrote: Rob, Thanks, yes, I just saw a post about that this morning. Hopefully they will not take long to get it out.

Kevin, Thanks I will look into that book.  I have several books on Windsor chair building which has been helpful in being able to draw from several designs, features, and techniques for some that I want. 

I am interesting in making a set of chairs, something along the lines of the staked chair of Chris Schwarz and adding in the lower cross members. The side chairs will have the upper half similar to the staked chair while the arm chairs will have an upper similar to a welsh stick chair.

They generally have a pretty quick post-production schedule so I'd say before the end of the year.

Also there may be some information on another forum that might be helpful to you:
http://handtoolwoodworking.com/forum/cha...ir-tenons/
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks, Scoony, I didn't realize Elia had a forum, been a while since I was on his site. I do use his 6 degree tapered tenon cutter for my chairs. I do recall John Brown used straight tenons. The first chair I built had straight tenons and they are holding up just fine. I do find the tapered/reamed system to actually be more forgiving as you learn it as it gives you chances to slightly adjust before the final fit. With straight tenons you basically have one shot (which was apparently all John Brown needed!). I wish I had taken a class with him.

Good luck with your chair!

Kevin
I had actually found that site a few weeks back.

I have been making some staked furniture and Windsors using a 11 deg reamer. I recently attempted to make a 6 deg reamer and two tries on the lathe, I still failed. I am going to give it another try before breaking down and purchasing one.  The tenon cutters are easy enough to make, but you need the reamer first.
That is scheduled to be available for download/DVD on 11/18 (but we might try to move that date up; depends on the editing load of the video team (which is shared across our parent company's communities). But, Don's is based on John Brown's: https://www.amazon.com/Welsh-Stick-Chair...0854420835
Scoony, it's not cheap, but Tim Manney's reamer is just fantastic. I took a class a year or so back with Pete Galbert, who showed how to properly use that reamer and it does make a difference. I use Elia's tenon cutter to match and have converted to the 6 degree angle.

And wow, if I didn't treasure my John Brown book so much I would try to get rich by selling it...someone has it listed for $2000...I hope it's John's actual handwritten draft! I do look forward to Don Weber's video, I have used his seat plan before (I think from an old Woodwork mag, I'll see if I can find it).

Thanks.
Kevin
Hi Scoony,

Sorry for the delay, I did find that old issue with Don Weber's Welsh stick chair plan. It's quite simple and does make a nice chair.

I'm not sure I have the pic thing figured out yet either as it said my file was too large, so I copied it off Photobucket...if someone can comment as to a better way to do this I would be much obliged!

Thanks.
Kevin

s863.photobucket.com/user/kwadams14/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstdnk9nki.jpeg.html][Image: th_image_zpstdnk9nki.jpeg][/URL]

I looked at the pic and not sure it's legible...you can PM me with your email if you'd like and I'll send you a scanned copy on Monday. Thanks.

Kevin