Replaced my Crapsman router with
another Crapsman router.

Recently I let the factory installed smoke out of a 30+ year old Crapsman router.  As I removed it from the table, and performed the obligatory autopsy, I recalled that I purchased another Crapsman router at a yard sale for $5.  The only reason I seldom used it, was because the collet would not release bits.  The collet on old smokey did not have that issue.  I switched collets.  Now I have another router, set in a small aluminum table, which I can dedicate to round overs and other small bit tasks. 

It looks like the plastic got brittle over the years.  Some plastic on the inside of the router had cracks.  It looks like a small piece came loose and got tangled in the wires on the armature, breaking off a few of the wires leading to the windings.  There should have been three wires soldered to each post on the commutator bars.  Two of the posts, next to each other, had two of the wires broken off.  I believe that is where the smoke came from.

I will donate the remains to a local not-for-profit. They recycle stuff as one of their methods of funding.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Was there a question in there ?
Laugh

If you are looking for a new router there are many to choose from. My preferred brands are Milwaukee and Bosch. DeWalt is probably still a good name. I have some older Porter Cable that is also great but I don't know about the new stuff.  Following the overall ratings on Amazon is usually a pretty safe way to weed out the weak players.
Nope, no question, just a comment.  I have Bosch, Milwaukee and DeWalt routers as well.  However, the old cheap Crapsman does have a purpose in life.  If I see another one cheap at a yard sale, I will buy it and put in on the shelf.  It does depend on the model though.  The collets on some were junk.
When I started in this hobby, almost 40 years ago, Craftsman was about the only locally available, affordable option for decent power tools.  Hardware stores carried heavy duty contractor grade tools that were out of my price range and other department stores had a very limited selection of low end, homeowner grade tools that even in those days, didn't seem worth the $.  Sears carried a wider range of tools, from the light duty homeowner stuff, up to heavier duty "pro grade" tools.  They just seemed to be a better value for me, at the time.  And by & large, it worked out OK.  I got good service from just about every Craftsman tool I've owned.   I still have my Craftsman RAS and drill press.  I gave my son-in-law my old table saw.  Doesn't see much action any more, but it's still operational.  Most of the portable power tools have been replaced, but I still do have a 3/8" drill and a router, mounted in a Craftsman table.  I was still using the router & table regularly up until a couple years ago.  I never had the self adjusting cullets that were so problematic with Craftsman routers a number of years ago and wouldn't hesitate to drag the old girl out and use it tomorrow, if needed.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I know Crapsman claimed to have pro power tools, but I would argue that they did not.  However, I will agree that they had better quality DIY tools than the others, back in the day.  They deserve their poor reputation, due to some of the junk they produced.  However, with a little due diligence, one could get some decent quality DYI tools.  I also have other Crapsmans tools, like a RAS, 6" joiner, 3 hand held power drills, belt sander and some other stuff.  I use them regularly.  Even today, if one is careful in their selection, I believe they can get decent, serviceable, DIY tools from Sears.  However, in today's world, there are many other choices available, which I like better.

I have piles of Craftsman hand tools and I swear by their quality.
Over the years I have owned may Sears power tools and I have had good luck with the majority of them.  I have never called them Crapsman. But , anyway they won't be around much longer and then you will have find another line of tools. Maybe Pennys and Best Buy will step in.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-cru...25838.html
(08-26-2016, 01:52 PM)Mac1 Wrote: Over the years I have owned may Sears power tools and I have had good luck with the majority of them.  I have never called them Crapsman. But , anyway they won't be around much longer and then you will have find another line of tools. Maybe Pennys and Best Buy will step in.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-cru...25838.html

Penney's did sell a few power drills, etc a long (30 years maybe) time ago. They were junk.