Laguna 14-12 Fence Fix
I have a 14” Laguna band saw.  It cuts well but the fence has always been a disappointment.  The problem is the cast piece that slides over the guide bar and attaches to the fence.  If you barely loosen the hold down knob enough to move the fence there is so much play the far end of the fence will move more than an inch.  It is very hard to make a very small or precise adjustment of the fence.

My solution was to drill and tap two holes for nylon tipped set screws so I can adjust the play.  I tighten the hold down knob and then turn the set screws in until they just touch the guide bar.  Now, when the hold down knob is loosened the casting stays in alignment and the far end of the fence stays in position as it should.

Just thought this info might be helpful for others who want to tighten up their fence adjustment.

Lonnie

[Image: 20160824_202010.jpg]

[Image: 20160824_202531.jpg]

[Image: 20160824_202859.jpg]

[Image: 20160824_205105.jpg]
Thank you sir!

I'm putting those set-screws on my next McMaster Carr order.
Bill,
I used 1/4 - 20 size set screws.  I have some brass tipped ones but the nylon tipped ones seemed to work better for me.

Lonnie
Looks like a well thought, well executed solution.
Nicely done!
Ag
Excellent fix. I've had the same problem with my Minimax 16 as well as my old Bridgewood 18. I'll be trying this out real soon.
Thanks for identifying the size. I had guessed #10-24.

I might try that anyway. It's easy to go larger if I need to.
Bill Schneider
Bill,
I went a little larger because the pads are only about half the diameter of the set screw.
That makes sense. I'll get both when I order. 

Even if I don't use the #10-24s, then I'll have them on hand for another project in the future. I've used soft-tip set screws occasionally in the past for other projects.
Bill Schneider