Hole Plugs
I need to get some 3/8' oak hole plugs (face/side grain).  Any suppliers/plugs better than others?
Thanks.
If you make your own you have more control over the the color and grain.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...,180,42288
+1 for Lee Valley's tapered plug cutters. Easy to do and they ork great.
+ another for the LV Tapered Plug Cutters.  They work great.
Home Depot has various sizes

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools.../202252108
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
If you don't use the tapered one, just grind down to a smaller diameter a specific drill bit for the plug you are using.
(08-27-2016, 12:05 AM)ruffcutt Wrote: If you make your own you have more control over the the color and grain.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...,180,42288

This is a big +1

Especially if your plugs are going into face grain, with a dowel you are stuck with end grain all day long, come time to finish that is a HUGE difference
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
An easy way to make a bunch of plugs, is to drill them with a plug cutter in a piece of wood, then use the bs (or ts) to cut them all free, to the plug height you need.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(08-29-2016, 07:02 AM)Pirate Wrote: An easy way to make a bunch of plugs, is to drill them with a plug cutter in a piece of wood, then use the bs (or ts) to cut them all free, to the plug height you need.

You want to make them longer than the depth you require, because plug cutters have a tendency to chip out when started crossgrain.  You can chase the invisible - impossible - match in color and orientation if you please.  In my experience, they're usually JUST different enough here and there to make it look like a mistake on my part.  End or crossed face grain makes them part of the embellishment.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-29-2016, 07:48 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: You want to make them longer than the depth you require, because plug cutters have a tendency to chip out when started crossgrain.  You can chase the invisible - impossible - match in color and orientation if you please.  In my experience, they're usually JUST different enough here and there to make it look like a mistake on my part.  End or crossed face grain makes them part of the embellishment.

I agree with this, as it's nearly impossible to get a great match. Good, sure, but if you look it does end up looking like a mistake.

Use buttons, contrasting plugs (walnut dowels), pyramids, anything to make it look like an accent.