Sharpening a rosette cutter
Question 
I have carbide rosette cutter which I have used to cut an uncounted number of hardwood rosettes with.  I think I know what I am doing, but I thought I would ask here, since I am not 100% sure.

Having worked in the meat plant for 10 years, I know how to flash the cutting edge in the light to look for shinny spots, to indicate dullness.  The Rosette cutter showed some shinny spots, indicating it needed honed.

In the meat plant, we would use a steel on our knives every few seconds, at least once per cycle, or once per 300 seconds minimum.

With the rosette cutter I made >50 and likely > 100 rosettes without honing the cutter.

How often should I hone a carbide cutter.  My thought is to pay attention to two things.  One is the quality of the cut.  The other is to look at the edge of the cutter.  50-100 rosettes seems about right.

To hone the cutter, I simply took 3-4 strokes on the flat side with a diamond sharpening plate.  Like a knife, I am not really sharpening it, just straightening out the edge a bit.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Carbide never sharpens as well as HSS. You can't get that fine edge and if you do, it may break off on the first stressed cut.

What you may be seeing is pitting. Depends on the hardness and quality.
(08-27-2016, 09:43 AM)daddo Wrote: Carbide never sharpens as well as HSS. You can't get that fine edge and if you do, it may break off on the first stressed cut.

What you may be seeing is pitting. Depends on the hardness and quality.

I did not see any pitting, but I did not magnify it either.  I currently have it set up, banging out another 60 rosettes.  I have a small magnifier.  I don't know if I can see pitting with that or not.  I will check after I get these done.

I know making rosettes is a scrapping job, and I know carbide does not get that nice "hook" my proper scrappers get.  What I need is a carbide cutter to hog out 90%, and then a high speed steel cutter to finish.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe