Kansas City Metro Member...help
I am building a sofa table that is 14.5" wide and about 70" long. I need to plane the piece of cherry I am using (which I incidentally got from Bones on one of his famous wood runs when I lived in Birmingham, AL about 8 years ago but that is another story for another day) but I only have a 12" planer.

Anyone in the metro areas have a 16" planer that can help? Not trying to take much off, I just need to get it flat and my hand plane skills are abysmal.

Thanks.
(08-27-2016, 12:30 PM)Scott Jashinski Wrote: I am building a sofa table that is 14.5" wide and about 70" long. I need to plane the piece of cherry I am using (which I incidentally got from Bones on one of his famous wood runs when I lived in Birmingham, AL about 8 years ago but that is another story for another day) but I only have a 12" planer.

Anyone in the metro areas have a 16" planer that can help? Not trying to take much off, I just need to get it flat and my hand plane skills are abysmal.

Thanks.

Contact the Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild www.kcwoodworkersguild.org
We have a shop available for use by members and can handle your requirements.

I will be at the shop on Sunday the 28th from 10a to 2p to supervise and can help you.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
That may work. Two questions: 1) Is the shop at the Mercier Street location and 2) can I join when I arrive or do I need to go online and register in advance?
Yes, on Mercier.

Easiest to join on-line.

To qualify to use the shop (if you bring stuff Sunday, I'll run it through, you can't yet) there is a process including a safety test and orientation.  Details are on the web site.  After that you can work in the shop on your projects when we have it open, about 140 hours / month.
Great. Just joined with the Sawdust Maker. I'll bring the wood and the receipt tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you.
This place is awesome, good on you Rob.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I remember the days when they were meeting in a church basement. The guild has come a long way since then.
VH07V  
(08-27-2016, 05:39 PM)Scott Jashinski Wrote: Great. Just joined with the Sawdust Maker. I'll bring the wood and the receipt tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you.

See you later today.  Wayne, our membership director, will probably be by late in the day and may be able to expedite your discount card.  But no promises on that.  Not sure when the next safety orientation will be but somebody should be contacting (email) soon.
(08-27-2016, 05:39 PM)Scott Jashinski Wrote: Great. Just joined with the Sawdust Maker. I'll bring the wood and the receipt tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you.

Gotta love havin access to a 16" wide jointer sometimes. ?
(08-28-2016, 05:40 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Gotta love havin access to a 16" wide jointer sometimes. ?

Gotta love even more the help that one can find both here on WN and in your area.

As others have said, "good on'ya."
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.