experimenting with dyes and pore filling of ash
Just doing a little experimenting with pore filling and dye formulas to color ash.  Long term I want to build a pie safe and it turns out I can get ash much cheaper than even red oak.  Once finished, they look very similar and with no exposed end-grain (well there will be a little bit) it's tough to tell them apart.

Color formulas are courtesy of Charles Neil and made using General Finishes dyes.  Then can also be made up using Transtint or WD Lockwood as close matches.

Ash -> 120grit -> 150grit -> wet to raise grain -> 150grit -> fill pores (2x) -> 180grit -> dye, wet coat for at least 2 minutes -> wipe dry -> seal with blonde shellac -> topcoat with gloss lacquer (will be rubbed out with 0000 steel wool to give dull luster but that has to wait until tomorrow)

The pore fill was made from Plaster of Paris mixed up equal parts of PP and water.  The water was about half tap water and half some medium brown Transtint stock solution I had left from another project.  A previous test using straight PP left a little bit too much white showing as once dry it doesn't take up much color.

An interesting and fun experiment.  Since I won't have the time to do the build for at least another month, I can fiddle with finishing schedules in the mean time.

"Golden Oak" (this is my current 2nd choice color)
[Image: 28985525870_90a05f844f_z.jpg]

"Golden Honey Pine" (this is my current 1st choice but I think the pore filler should be a touch darker)
[Image: 28985532410_3bff1b8c52_z.jpg]

"Mission Oak" (mostly just for giggles, I think this is a bit too gray/green but easily modified by changing the dye ratios.  And this too would benefit from a darker color pore fill)
[Image: 28652952173_e918b11aa3_z.jpg]

"New England Maple" (bit too orange, easily remedied in the fomula)
[Image: 28652948103_a5b52ffe71_z.jpg]

Lighting plays a bit part in how color is perceived.  The samples were photographed in open-shade so that's about the most even lighting I can manage.  And as mentioned above, I haven't rubbed out the lacquer so there is a bit of specular reflection (most apparent in the Mission Oak sample).  To my eye, a low luster finish on open-grain woods looks better. 

I'm not a huge fan of the look of open-grain woods but doing a little bit of pore filling goes a long way toward "fixing" the appearance in my opinon.  Using Plaster of Paris is pretty easy if a bit messy.  Today wasn't terribly hot but it was humid.  This worked a little bit in my favor becuase I got a longer working time with the soup.  Mix the PP to about heavy cream, put on some gloves and get messy.  Results in maybe a 75% or more fill after two quick coats.  Sands clean very quickly, if a bit dusty.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I like the first sample. Don't care much for the last two. I have used grain filler on walnut and mahogany, but have never tried PP on ash or oak.
A very helpful post -especially since ash is so plentiful at the moment. I've done a lot of woodworking, but never used dies or grain filler. Definitely on my short list.
Golden Honey gets my vote.  Got to look up the formula.