Loft Bed Ideas & Help
do you know how to calculate the weight limit of a bunkbed that is already built
I did loft beds for my kids a few years ago, but it was L-shaped with two mattresses so yours would be easier.

Here is a thread on it. https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.ph...266&page=2
I linked to the second page where the completed beds are shown.

Honestly the easiest way to make it sturdy is to bolt it to the wall. I have two lag bolts in that bed. I can do pullups on the main rail, and I'm about to hang a hanging board for my older daughter from the main rail. Both children also frequently tie a sheet around the main rail and use them as swings. Or step between a bunch of hung sheets like an obstacle course. And hang sheets over the edges and make rooms underneath. So much creativity. While this is by far not my finest work, this is probably the best project I've even built for the joy it has brought.

That said, of you want to save a headache, there are companies that build loft beds for college students. And they will easily alter them with higher rails for kids, etc. At least as of a few years ago (pre-pandemic) the prices were reasonable for what you got. You still have to put it together, but the wood is better than what is easy to grab at the Borg, already sanded and cut, etc. I almost went that route but their L-shaped design didn't quite fit in the room (and mine is a bit nicer at the corner). Then again the prep work isn't that bad if you have the right tools and work area.

(01-21-2022, 10:57 PM)msweig Wrote: I did loft beds for my kids a few years ago, but it was L-shaped with two mattresses so yours would be easier.

Here is a thread on it. https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.ph...266&page=2
I linked to the second page where the completed beds are shown.

Honestly the easiest way to make it sturdy is to bolt it to the wall. I have two lag bolts in that bed. I can do pullups on the main rail, and I'm about to hang a hanging board for my older daughter from the main rail. Both children also frequently tie a sheet around the main rail and use them as swings. Or step between a bunch of hung sheets like an obstacle course. And hang sheets over the edges and make rooms underneath. So much creativity. While this is by far not my finest work, this is probably the best project I've even built for the joy it has brought.

That said, of you want to save a headache, there are companies that build loft beds for college students. And they will easily alter them with higher rails for kids, etc.  At least as of a few years ago (pre-pandemic) the prices were reasonable for what you got. You still have to put it together, but the wood is better than what is easy to grab at the Borg, already sanded and cut, etc.  I almost went that route but their L-shaped design didn't quite fit in the room (and mine is a bit nicer at the corner). Then again the prep work isn't that bad if you have the right tools and work area.

How did you resurrect this post? Pretty old stuff. Thanks for info. I built 1 for my GS and a few months later he decided that's not he wanted. His mother lets him get away things like that. No consideration for my time & expense. I don't make him anything more.
Jim
I just did a search for loft bed. I knew there was at least one since I remembered posting it.