Coffe table gun storage plans /design
I'm thinking about making one for my grandson and am in search of plans/ideas.  I remember seeing this style of coffee table made by members on this forum a couple of years.  Don't really need specific plans.  Pictures will do.  I can reverse engineer from there.
I was also thinking of making one.
Here is a pic from online.
I would want to build it with some kind of hidden lock, Maybe a spring loaded button on one side that needs to be pushed and held as the top is lifted.
Wouldn't want the wrong person to be able to have access.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=...7858985934
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I made an end table with an access door that could only be opened with a magnet. The magnet simply moved a ball bearing out of the way of the springed latch. The magnet was mounted on the bottom of a decorative piece sitting on the table. Just move the decorative piece over the spot and the door popped opened. It wasn't for a gun, but it is an idea.
(08-29-2016, 08:25 AM)daddo Wrote: I made an end table with an access door that could only be opened with a magnet. The magnet simply moved a ball bearing out of the way of the springed latch. The magnet was mounted on the bottom of a decorative piece sitting on the table. Just move the decorative piece over the spot and the door popped opened.  It wasn't for a gun, but it is an idea.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interesting in seeing any sketches or notes that you have on your ball bearing latch, daddo.  Sounds like a really neat idea.

Thanks!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
(08-29-2016, 12:16 PM)dow Wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interesting in seeing any sketches or notes that you have on your ball bearing latch, daddo.  Sounds like a really neat idea.

Thanks!

It was years ago but I'll see what i can find.
Not a fan for hidden storage.  I prefer a stronger box and here in California, not a legal storage solution in the presence of Children.  

However, if you want a visible display...

How about a Mosin Nagant coffee table.  

[Image: ejBmhNl.jpg]
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
N. J. Conceal has some for sale that might give you some ideas.
http://www.mcssl.com/store/njconceal/coffee-table
-----------------------
mouse jockey
I couldn't find any info I had other than a rough sketch on a card. The original design didn't work. I changed a few things like having to use two earth magnets from a computer hard drive.

It was a simple bent metal plate with a roller that flipped up and allowed the drawer to open by a small spring assist that popped the drawer out enough so one could grab onto the drawer.

The drawer must be on rollers and easy to slide. The lower magnet must be where any regular metal placed on the top will not affect the mechanism (This is why two magnets are used). The tension on the spring should be a relaxed tension as to not affect the rollers movement via the magnets. It took a few adjustments but worked fine afterwords.

This is the best I have with memory- the drawing is not correct for the drawer position, but you get the idea.

[Image: spring%20drawer_zpsgljvbvau.jpg]