General spraying question
I have 2 Adirondack chairs that I need to paint. I primed one chair with water based primer and it took me one hour. I hav  to prime the other chair and then paint them both and I may need two coats of paint. Thus I am looking at 3-5 hours to complete.

Question- can I spray latex paint? I have a HF HVLP spray gun ($12 special) and a 3 gallon sprayer. I have never used the sprayer before. If I can spray latex paint do I need to thin it before spraying? Do I thin it with water or something else?

Thanks
I wouldn't try to spray exterior latex with the HF hvlp. You will need to thin it down to basically white water. I'd get a weenie roller with a brush and have at it.

(09-04-2016, 04:24 PM)Randy C Wrote: I have 2 Adirondack chairs that I need to paint. I primed one chair with water based primer and it took me one hour. I hav  to prime the other chair and then paint them both and I may need two coats of paint. Thus I am looking at 3-5 hours to complete.

Question- can I spray latex paint? I have a HF HVLP spray gun ($12 special) and a 3 gallon sprayer. I have never used the sprayer before. If I can spray latex paint do I need to thin it before spraying? Do I thin it with water or something else?

Thanks

Don't know what you mean by a 3 gallon sprayer.  The purple HF gun is gravity cup fed and material will need considerable thinning.

The HF turbine ($100 and same as one with Rockler sticker) can push acrylic latex with 20% thinning which is pretty much the maximum. Will also need floetrol.  I've done it before upgrading to a 4 stage system.  Did one chair plus ottoman in two sessions. One for primer, one for paint. About an hour each without cleanup.

Woodcraft and home centers sell a pressurized cup system that could work but you'll need a stout compressor, regulator, line dryer, etc.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Randy, are referring to a 3 gallon pressure pot that is used with a paint sprayer?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
No. I only have a pancake sprayer from HF. My dad does have a large compressor if that would be better.
I've sprayed exterior 100% acrylic latex (Olympic), I had it to thin about 20% (max, according to the label) through my Fuji turbine. I would imagine it would work for you...just test it out first. I'm referring to the HF spray gun.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.