Anyone Allergic to Cherry?
Condo workshop.
After a dozen years, I received my first noise and symptomatic complaint from my neighbor on Sunday.
He claims his skin has a rash and wants to know what I am doing in my shop.
All I have done this past week is turn some cherry in the lathe. and rout some dovetails. Both, admittedly dusty. But, I have done this in the past without issue.

I am still trying to figure out what his noise issue is, as his complaint does not agree with my activities. But that is beside my question.

So, has anyone here gotten a bad reaction from Cherry? And what did it do to you?
Ag
Any dust could be problematic for some, however provided any distance at all it should not be his problem, unless the kid frequents your shop while you make the dust.

Wood Databases listing of frequent wood sensitizers. I don't think it's an accident that Cherry is not on this list. I've never heard of a Cherry allergy.

I would think jr is getting his problem closer to home, but the fact you were blamed as a source doesn't bode well for your neighbors thinking nothing of your hobby. At some level it irritates them that you are doing woodworking, or you wouldn't have been in the mix.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks.
I agree, I think he is smart like a fox....and up to something.
Long history....

BTW, I can see how you read my sentence, "his son". It is the owner, "his skin". His arm, specifically.

Happily I do have a fallback plan. I think he does too. They are both the same. So sorry to reply "in code". It is too long a story to tell, and gets off topic.
Ag
Never heard of a Cherry reaction.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Nope no rash and per the book it says it is not one of the problems.  I am thinking the person is just looking for something to whine about.  Maybe it is payback time and whine about him.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sorry, I missed the "he" part, and somehow inserted a kid, maybe a different thread? If it is on his arm, then you would think he would have been touching the wood, dust, or finished, but unfinished project. My gut says he has Poison Ivy, and wants your shop closed. If he comes back around tell him to bring a Doctor's diagnosis, or quit wasting your time with his dermatitis.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I remember some of the old posted story about your DH neighbor.
I expect he's created a BS story; never heard of anyone having a reaction to Black Cherry.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thank's Gary and Steve.
Today I started moving my shop into another space. Too small, but safe from intrusion and I think immune from complaints from anyone.
It is 6 x 21 and I share it with my furnace and hot water heater. I can squeeze my lathe, planer, bench, bandsaw, and drillpress. The arm saw and router are the challenge.
But I see a wall I can open up into the laundry, and that might work to fit everything in.
Gonna go look at the shop space thread and smile or cry....
Thanks folks!
Ag
NEVER had a problem with Cherry....Walnut will get my nose twitching.....before I had good dust collection, Red Oak would drive my dad from the shop in short order.

Ed
I HIGHLY doubt that your cherry dust is the problem. Yes, any wood dust can cause breathing problems, but a topical rash is almost certainly not related to what his neighbor (you) is doing next door. He needs to look at his own home and workplace environment first, which I'm sure a qualified dermatologist would encourage him to do.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop