Wiping Varnish over Stain
I'm finishing two bath vanities, dark cherry stain per SWMBO's stated desire, and mixed my own oil based poly wiping varnish by thinning with MS. Wiping varnish works great on test pieces, but when applied to the stained wood it also thins out the stain and changes the color that I strove mightily to make consistent on the two cabinets and on frame panel wainscoting. Stain has dried for 3 days. How can I prevent changes in color?

My thought is to either let the stain dry further, or apply a spit coat of shellac as a sealer prior to applying the poly wipe on. Thoughts or other suggestions from the brain trust?

Thx. 

PS, I love the woodworking, hate the finishing.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The spit coat of shellac will be the easiest, and what I would do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-05-2016, 02:39 PM)fredhargis Wrote: The spit coat of shellac will be the easiest, and what I would do.
This.  The non-rattling rattle can of Zinsser Bullseye will do the trick. Or get a can of Sealcoat and cut it 50:50 with denatured alcohol from the hardware store.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks guys for the confirm input. I've got super blonde dewaxed flakes and will roll my own.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If the stain is really dry the wiping varnish won't lift the stain.  If it's not, then spraying shellac first is the way to go.  Notice I said to spray the shellac.  If the stain is not completely dry, or has no binder in it, then wiping or brushing on shellac will lift the stain just as the wiping varnish did.

No matter what, the varnish will change the color from what you have after staining.  Make samples first from start to finish.  That's the only way to know how it will look when you are done.  

John
Flexner just posted a blog entry on that this week http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodwo...ing-finish