Shower/tub trim - brand specific?
We are looking to replace the spout/handles/shower head in one of our bathrooms.  The current setup is a 3 handle system.  

I was looking at the 3-handle sets (hot/cold & diverter) - there aren't many - and wasn't seeing anything we specifically like.  So I was hoping just to buy everything separately.   I chatted with someone at eFaucets to try to find out where just the single handles are and she was asking the current brand, as the handles aren't interchangeable between brands.  She said we'd most likely have to go behind the wall and replace all of the valves.

Is this correct?
Basically correct. You can sometimes find generic handles, but they are poorly made and don't work that well. The chrome trim under the handles, however, you usually can't find in generics.

The tub spout and showerhead can be anything you like. You are not wedded to brand. They are easy to replace.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
The Resident Rocket Surgeon nailed it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Yuck, thanks guys. I had no idea. I guess i thought it was semi universal. Can i do anything with a pic of the back of the handle or the part of the valve that sticks out of the tile, for id purposes?
Sometimes.  Some have a rather unique shape to the stem end, some vary only by a few thousandths of an inch and the number of the splines.  A pic here might give an idea to start with.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Some hardware stores have displays with stems mounted on them. You take your knob and match it to the stem and then find knobs of like stem configuration. However, when you do that, you get home and find the knob is basically crap anyway.

You are best served by replacing the ancient valve with a single handle valve body. This is done be either cutting a big hole in the tub surround and covering the extra holes and damage with a big bezel, or by going in from the back and doing the same, but with drywall damage to repair. The rear repair is best for a tiled shower as you can generally fill the offending extra two holes and add some decorative tile. The front attack is generally best for a fiberglass surround since you are screwed on a visually appealing repair anyway.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry