Spacer bushings
Hi,

I bought a 120x grinder wheel at Woodcraft over the weekend and it came with those nested plastic bushings. I'd like to replace them with metal bushing, but I can't the size I need. I've checked the usual suspects; McMaster, MSC, etc. No luck. 

The bushing I need is larger than I've seen before. OD: 1 1/4", ID: 5/8", 1" W

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA!
When you find them, let us know. I returned a white wheel to Woodcraft because of those inserts - could not get wheel balanced because of lousy fit. Ended up buying a different wheel (Norton) elsewhere. I needed the same bearing (5/8") for my Ryobi grinder.

Sounds like the perfect lathe job and a part that might be needed by others online. Ill order some 1.25" rod and make you guys some if you give me a bit to get some delivered.  Aluminum 6061 OK?

Mikie

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I think that would be a great thing to do, perhaps we could post this down in other forums too to see if more people would be interested. I think those Ryobi grinders are pretty popular around here.

This is for the Ryobi low speed grinder.

Regards, Steve
Ok alum ordered. I'll post when it arrives.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Enco is my go to source for precision bushings and spacers. They sell to the machine shop trade.

You mentioned MCS, they recently bought Enco, but the two sites might not be totally integrated yet.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
This thread got me to thinking about bushings since I had a grinder restoration in process.  One wheel wobbled after re-installation.  I checked the bushing.   It was the typical series of plastic sleeves to fit a 1-1/4" x 1/2" x 1" wide hole.  I did some measuring.  The wheel's bore was .007 oversize and the shaft was .002 under size.  I cut an aluminum bushing to fit and it made an amazing difference in the smoothness of the wheel.   Having a fitting bushing  that has a bore and OD that are concentric is the key.  
Those plastic sleeve things just aren't much.  If you don't intend to change wheels, then the off center of the plastic sleeves can be compensated for by dressing the wheel.  Its just that when the wheel comes off the arbor, its not likely to go back concentrically. 

Actually, MSC (Manhattan Supply Co.) bought Enco many years back.  Only recently has the move been started to phase the Enco name out in favor of consolidation.
Google is your friend. there are likely cheaper available this was the first hit
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I don't think that Bearing will work Steve  One thing though you would never wear out a grinding wheel using it 
Big Grin
Big Grin  

While it is not the ideal solution you can buy a 5/8"ID x 3/4" sleeve bushing and a 3/4 x 1 1/4 shaper bushing to fill the hole   Even if they were only 3/4" long they would work just fine with cupped washers 

JMO

bushing one link

bushing two link

or 

two of these bushings
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've been working odd and long hours and didn't think I'd have time, but I managed to draw up something and I had some 2.5" 6061 stock in the shop and just thought I turn out my idea. Perhaps it isn't what you're looking for..?
  I reamed them out to 5/8" and they have a good snug fit on my test shaft.
 Would something like this work? They aren't polished up but are true.
 Of course the flanges could be removed and just use them as bushings.

I do have two 1018 metal bushings that would fit your grinder but the bores are 41/64"- a tad bigger and might fit too loose on the shaft. ? But for a grinder, how tight must they be??

[Image: grinder%20bushing%20with%20flange%2058_zps9seiucio.jpg]
[Image: grinder%20bushings%2058%20003_zpsa0wbxwbl.jpg]
[Image: grinder%20bushings%2058%20005_zpsrtezhgy6.jpg]