Spacer bushings
Hi, I'm not sure if your talking to me.

But, that's really cool! Well I sent Mike a PM on the aluminum so I'm committed to that path right now. If that doesn't pan out I'll be back to you.

I think it would work but I'm not sure because the outer cover of the grinder, when tightened down, looks like it comes very close to the wheels. However the sides of that bushing don't look like they would come in contact with the wheel cover.

Regards, Steve
Nice idea and implementation.

The main potential problem that I see is shaft length on the grinder. Some of the shafts are short enough that you cannot put a CBN wheel on them unless you get one that has had a relief milled for the nut.

After I returned one of the Norton wheels with the nest of plastic spacers (my dual-speed grinder tried to chase me around the shop on high speed before I got it switched off), I bought one of the Oneway balancing kits that came with spacers/bushings. I put the original wheel back on and it has been good enough. Since, the original grinder wheels are still holding up, the balancing kit is still unused.

Given a choice between balancing and truing stones versus the extra cost of CBN wheels, I have been slowly acquiring CBN wheels. I still need to get the round tuit to dig out the spare grinder and set it up with the CBN wheels and a Oneway sharpening jig set.
Sigh

Wood Turning Wonders has had some good sales and symposium promotions on them. I also hear good things about the Dway wheels.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Made some as requested for Steve and sent them out today. Who else needed some? Mine are not T bushings. The OD is 1.25 and the ID is reamed to .625 (5/8) and they are 1" in length.

[Image: IMG_20160914_233025_zpsiolutywc.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160914_232602_zpsmvjtf5cb.jpg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The flange has an inset for a washer to reduce the width- not shown in other pics. The actual total width is near the same as using a flanged washer.

[Image: grinder%20bushings%2058%20006_zpsohpgrcfv.jpg]
Once they arrive, I'll post pictures with them mounted.
Hi all,

First I want to thank Mikie for making these bushing, they arrived yesterday It makes a big difference in the way the grinder runs! Here are some shots of the bushings and them being mounted on the grinder.

They arrived nicely wrapped. I got a little over excited and kind of ripped the package apart.

[Image: IMG_1306.jpg]

I found that the ID of the grinder wheel wasn't quite 1.25, it was a bit smaller. However, the ID of the bushing fit the grinder arbor perfectly. So, I mounted the bushing on the arbor and used some 220 grit sandpaper to gently bring the diameter down. I put the sandpaper against the plywood b/c I wanted to make sure I applied even pressure across the surface. I finally realized that I could put the arbor nut on and that would hold the bushing more snugly, duh! I took the bushing off every maybe 30s to see if it would fit the wheel. 

[Image: IMG_1314.jpg]

After 2-3 tries I had a fantastic pressed fit. Here it is mounted on the grinder.

[Image: IMG_1315.jpg]

Then it was time for the pink wheel. The bushing fit perfectly both on the ID and OD, no adjust was necessary.

[Image: IMG_1316.jpg]

Mikie did a great job on making these, I couldn't find a source anywhere and he saved having to go out and try to find another set of wheels. 

Also, many thanks to all who provided ideas and inputs!

Regards, Steve

Cool ..
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Glad they worked for you!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Another reason this place is great. We all help each other, sometimes with advice, sometimes with tangible "stuff". I've been the recipient and the giver before. I won't hesitate to be the be giver again should the opportunity arise.

Thank you to everyone on this website, it is definitely my favorite place to visit,
Yes
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(09-24-2016, 07:12 AM)museumguy Wrote: Another reason this place is great. We all help each other, sometimes with advice, sometimes with tangible "stuff". I've been the recipient and the giver before. I won't hesitate to be the be giver again should the opportunity arise.

Thank you to everyone on this website, it is definitely my favorite place to visit,
Yes

What he said
Yes  
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW