Kind of a dumb sharpening question
Not for nothing, but do you hold the chisel at a slight angle, LATERAL, to the stone when honing?

That's how i get a skew on my blades.

If you can raise a progression of burrs, ever finer - you're good.

Smaller blades present less surface area to the abrasive, a lighter touch might be required.
Yes this is a problem with mesh diamond stones -but- if you are careful no to tilt the tool it won't happen.
Have you tried using a jig?

I've found a straight on approach limits the catching as apposed to a skewed (which is my normal position).
I agree honing on a pull stroke will avoid the problem entirely.

IME a flat plate like a DiaSharp works much better for narrow tools.
(09-06-2016, 07:53 PM)tnff Wrote: Thank you.  I had not thought about flatness, just the holes.  Ran out to the shop to check and sure enough I can see light under the straight edge, about a 1/32 worth.  Is that enough to make a difference in sharpening?

Thank you,
jim

Jim,

I think that 1/32 is enough if you're using a honing guide because the angle of the blade (left to right) changes every time a wheel or the blade hits a low spot.

I'm not sure if it would be worse with wide or narrow blades.  On the one hand, the problem is easier to see on a wide blade because it's bigger and any problem will compound as it travels along the width of the blade.  I have had lots of blades end up with angled bevels because of an stone that was not flat.  On the other hand, a wider blade may make the guide more stable, so that minor imperfection in the surface of the stone won't show up.  I always use a honing guide for flat blades and am obsessive (probably beyond reasonable) about the abrasive surface being flat.

As for the diamond plates with holes, look at the sharpening videos by Barr Quarton and you'll see him use those exact plates with perfect results.  But, his blades are huge and he's doing it freehand.

Good luck.

Steve
Couple of folks have asked about honing guide.  I use the LV guide and had not seen this problem with my plane blades or bigger chisels, just the narrow ones (1/4, 3/8).  Steve mentioned getting an angled bevel.  That's kind of how I went down this rabbit hole.  Did a big clean up over the long weekend and that included some sharpening I was behind on.  Noticed I had put a pretty significant, in my mind at least, angle on all the chisels I'd worked on (plane blades seemed fine as best I can tell).  So naturally I started trying to remove the angle and one thing led to another which led to here.  As I was working I would occasionally notice what felt like a catch and then one corner or the other would be significantly off then I was off chasing my tail. 

Do diamonds stones wear out?  I've been working off these for about 8 years now and thought they were supposed to be lifetime stones.

I do appreciate all the answers.  Thank you,

jim

Slight update.  The DMT website suggested attempting to scratch glass to see how well the surface coating was.  Got two well pronounced parallels with nothing between them which I guess implies the surface is dished or I've worn out the center section.  Guess it's time for new stones.
'Do diamond stones wear out?'

Perhaps in an industrial setting.
More likely the substrate holding the abrasive separates from the plate if dropped.

I find that mine load up with filings and cut better after a good scrubbing with a wire brush and WD40.

If I'm dressing an axe head, cleaning is mire frequent.

If I'm shaping a harder, more modern steel, less so.
(09-08-2016, 06:32 AM)Anji12305 Wrote: 'Do diamond stones wear out?'

Yes if you use them for flattening a water stone.
(09-08-2016, 07:08 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Yes if you use them for flattening a water stone.

Not my experience.  I have one diamond stone dedicated to flattening my waterstones.  Still good as the day I got it.  The diamond stone I used to establish new bevels on chisels doesn't cut as fast as when it was purchased, but it's still quite functional.  Diamond stones cut very aggressively when first used, then settle down to a consistent cut.  Not all diamond stones are created equal.  Some have diamonds bonded on the surface.  Some have diamonds embedded in a matrix.  Atoma and DMT are two decent brands I've had good luck with.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just wanted to say thanks everyone.  Might get some time out there this weekend.  Son finished his Eagle project today and moved all that out.  Now I can sort of move around again.