Miter Saw Input
(09-08-2016, 08:18 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Another powered miter saw question:  I was shocked/pleasantly surprised yesterday, when I asked my 34 year old daughter what she want for her birthday.  She said a miter box.  She is handy with crafts of all types, somewhat handy with a hammer.  I don't doubt she couldn't master a miter saw, but I also don't want her friends to call her "Stubby".  So, what miter box has a better guard on it, along with a laser to help with cuts?

I'm not sure there is much difference in the guards from one brand to the other.  To be honest, I never really looked at them that closely.

I will say, however, that the LED light system available for Dewalt saws is pretty good.  Mine is an aftermarket unit, fitted to my 12" CMS.  I really like it.  I read a lot of reviews of various laser based systems and common complaints were that they were fussy, hard to keep in alignment and not all that accurate.  The Dewalt LED light is beautiful in it's simplicity.  It shines a light directly over the blade, casting a shadow on the wood.  The closer you get to the surface, the sharper the shadow appears.  You can literally see the set in the teeth of the blade.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(09-08-2016, 07:33 AM)John D. Wrote: Thanks, but I am in New Jersey. 

Thanks all for the input so far.  The Glide seems to be well liked but I was reading negative reviews about the dust collection, which is one thing I thought the Milwaukee did really well.  Can anyone comment on how good/bad the dust collection is?

Wudshop, which Hitachi model do you have?

As a cheap option, does anyone have any experience with this Craftsman saw (Did he just say Craftsman?) 

Link

I know that their power tool line has some pretty crappy stuff, but this saw seems to get decent reviews around the web during my brief search.

Yeah the dust collection is quite good on the milwaukee even just using the bag. I hauled mine in from the shop when I was doing the flooring in the house. Very little sawdust in the air or on the floor. 

A friend has the dewalt and the dust collection is a joke on it. If you put a vac on it the flap on the chute closes. 

The bosch won't be very good due to the linkage design as it doesn't alow for a moving dust shroud. 

Not sure on the sears ones but I have been looking at them as I'd like another saw for portable use. Their routers are their best product these days though. I do like the small one with the movable fences that has the template for corners for doing trim. 
           I kind of like the Hitachi but haven used one much. My only reason for not buying one is that I do not like vertical handles on a miter saw as its not very ergonomic. 

I'd make an offer on your old saw if you were closer to an airport. I'd make a trip and just bring it home in checked luggage. Going from Jersey to any airport isn't fun.
Thanks for the input, Robert.  If you are serious about flying to NJ (or Philly) I could meet you at the airport.
Thank you everyone for the input.  I ended up going with the DWS780.  I have a lot of tall base molding to install in the near future and the limitation of the Bosch on the right hand side of the blade (max height of 4.5") seemed like it would end up being a hassle.
(09-12-2016, 04:47 PM)John D. Wrote: Thank you everyone for the input.  I ended up going with the DWS780.  I have a lot of tall base molding to install in the near future and the limitation of the Bosch on the right hand side of the blade (max height of 4.5") seemed like it would end up being a hassle.

I had forgotten about that on the bosch. Just make sure the fence straight on yours. For several years allot of them were warped and you could easily see it putting a straight edge across both fences. I used to check the floor models in the borgs just to get a laugh. The problem was the long aluminum casting and it's tendency to warp. 

I'm headed to Cleveland again next week. Will see if I can make a detoured trip through philly back home. Have almost had to make that route on purpose several times when as usual flights to ord get cancelled.
Model is hitachi c12rsh. It is the 12 inch slider. I have built 2 kitchens and trimmed a couple of houses(including crown) as well as shop work. Other than the fear of dropping it's fine. It's got a laser that's seems like kind of a gimmick but I did use it for a few setups. Used the Bosch again recently. It's more robust and very nice. I think it was 150 or 200 more when I looks and just did not see the difference for me.
I own and use the Rigid 12", operating this saw for about 8? years.
I cut very small pieces and also big wood; 6" x 6", 5" x 12" etc.
Slides smoothly.
Cuts perfectly.
Nothing breaks.
I really like the big "table surface". Seems like most saws today have very small platforms for cutting small wood, the rigid is quite big and makes easier and safer cutting. 

Don't know about dust collection as I use mine outside.
Also I really like Bosch and Milwaukee tools but this Rigid saw has been excellent for me.
I own a C12LSH Hitachi and a 10" 717 Dewalt with the LED light option added. LOVE the LED light shadow line. The Hitachi is fine on my homemade perm space SCMS bench in the shop - it did not fit the "portable" Bosch T4B stand very well - the mounting holes were goofy. The Dewalt mounted perfectly. Id buy a Dewalt again instead of the Hitachi. If you go Dewalt make sure yours has the LED light shadow line option or included. It never goes out of alignment. I've never used a Bosch slider beyond playing with one in the store.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.