Miter Saw Input
Hi all-
My Milwaukee SCMS just gave up the ghost (wouldn't come up to speed, digital readout and LED stopped working, etc.) and the cost to repair is going to be $449.  Rather than spend that much money on repairing a saw, I am looking at buying a new miter saw.  I like having a slider for cross cutting larger pieces and construction lumber when needed, but don't know that I necessarily need to stick with a 12" saw (rather than a 10"). 

After reviewing the saws that are out there right now, I am considering the Bosch Glide and the Dewalt 780, but I am willing to consider other options if you know of any.  Kapex is out of the question financially.  

I typically use the saw outside or in a garage shop, so dust collection is not critical (although good dust collection would be nice).  Easy to adjust bevel and miter settings are important, and I would prefer a soft start saw.

Thanks for any input you can provide, particularly if you have hands on experience with either of the saws.  
John
Bosch glide, all of the way. Either the 10" or the 12". I have the 12" and love it. I just did a crown molding job with it and it went flawlessly.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Noticed Home Depot had the Ridgid 12" slider at a "special price" last time I was in the store. Don't have one so I can't say anything useful about it 
No except the price is less than your quoted repair cost for your no-worky saw. 

I look at it every year on Black Friday and keep talking myself out of it 
Laugh Looks like a decent saw and a really good value overall.
If I had to buy another one, I would buy the bosch glide. Primarily because of the low profile front to back. The sliders take up a lot of space. That being said, I have had a Dewalt 708 slider for over 15 years and the only problem was a few months ago when the bearings came apart. Cost me $40.00 in bearings and about an hour of my time to fix. That saw has built a lot of things over the years and still cuts true.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
I have the milwaukee and like it. Wouldn't mind another one... Would be interested in yours to repair if you aren't too far.

If I were to go out and buy a new saw it would be the bosch glide. I have used the ridgid saw and the slides are very rough. Sadly I was checking out the ridgid and ryobi in the store one day. The ryobi was much smoother than the ridgid...
I have the hitachi 12 inch. I have used the Bosch, makita and dewalt and it's as good functionally. It was much cheaper than the Bosch wHen I had to replace the last one. The casting is lighter than the makita I had from the 80s and I don't think it would hold up to being dropped but mine is built into a bench in the shop so that's not a big issue.
I have been using the 8 inch and 10 inch hitachi sliders for years, both site work and fine/shop work. Once set up, and if not knocked about, they are terrific, accurate reliable saws. These were the older Japanese made sliders, I personally would buy a used one that hasn't been used too hard and tune it, belt drive with two part fence they're easy to work on and fairly light. Can't speak to the new ones now that production went to China, though my experience with the new generation makita slider was very bad, will not go that route again.
(09-07-2016, 11:20 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I have the milwaukee and like it. Wouldn't mind another one... Would be interested in yours to repair if you aren't too far.

If I were to go out and buy a new saw it would be the bosch glide. I have used the ridgid saw and the slides are very rough. Sadly I was checking out the ridgid and ryobi in the store one day. The ryobi was much smoother than the ridgid...

Thanks, but I am in New Jersey. 

Thanks all for the input so far.  The Glide seems to be well liked but I was reading negative reviews about the dust collection, which is one thing I thought the Milwaukee did really well.  Can anyone comment on how good/bad the dust collection is?

Wudshop, which Hitachi model do you have?

As a cheap option, does anyone have any experience with this Craftsman saw (Did he just say Craftsman?) 

Link

I know that their power tool line has some pretty crappy stuff, but this saw seems to get decent reviews around the web during my brief search.
Another powered miter saw question: I was shocked/pleasantly surprised yesterday, when I asked my 34 year old daughter what she want for her birthday. She said a miter box. She is handy with crafts of all types, somewhat handy with a hammer. I don't doubt she couldn't master a miter saw, but I also don't want her friends to call her "Stubby". So, what miter box has a better guard on it, along with a laser to help with cuts?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
When mine craps out I'll be picking up a Bosch Glide. Primarily because of the space savings and I refuse to pay the Festool price.

I don't have any experience with the ridgid slider but I have had their regular 12" chop saw for easily a decade now and it has been a champ. I don't know how much, if any, that transfers to their slider but Ridgod seems to be pretty dependable.
-Marc