Wood Log Cake Turntable
One of our "daughters from different parents" marries in October.  They are big Colorado hikers and wanted a "natural wood" turntable to hold the wedding cake.
So we nicked a piece of firewood during a recent Colorado trip.  A little chainsaw work, a little flattening with a router sled, some sanding, a little epoxy and lots of surplus lacquer and shellac to hold the bark onto the wood. Add a Lowes metal turntable and it is done.   It should last through the wedding.  Over 170 tree rings!
[Image: turntable%20log_zpskkbymyhl.jpg]

[Image: turntable%20side_zpsehwr9enm.jpg]

[Image: turntable%201_zpsfxx9ewly.jpg]
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
That turned out nice.

What kind of wood is that?  Aspen?
Some kind of Colorado pine or fir based on the bark.  This truly was a fast and dirty project that still thrilled the young lady.  I am learning to stop obsessing over projects and just do it!
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Long term there would be challenges with that, but to get through the wedding it is an awesome fit for active outdoors people. Well done
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Did something similiar except it was candle holders.  I made them a week before the wedding and the checking didn't happen.  My guess that by now (couple of months) there's a lot of checking. 

It's always a risk to use logs like that.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.