Generator Propane Tank Sizing
How long does it typically take to arrange for a propane delivery? So let's say power is out for three days, can you call the supplier and get a delivery by the next day? I imagine it is difficult to know as part may be out for a large # of folks but was curious for future reference.
Too many variables to say.  Is power out because everything collapsed under 3" of ice and nothing can get on the streets?  Streets clogged with downed trees and power lines?  What priority are the streets leading to your place, for clearance?  Every situation has to be assessed when it arises.  Would 100 hrs of fuel stretch out over 6 days of cold weather?  How cold?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have a 1000 gallon tank to heat the shop and provide fuel for the generator.

There was a 250 gallon tank in place when we moved in.  No heat in the shop building.  We decided to move the tank to accommodate landscaping.  Since we were moving it, and since I was putting heat in the shop building, we decided to upsize the tank.  For the price difference, I decided to get a 1000 gallon tank instead of a 500 gallon tank.  I wanted the ability to go two years between fillups to be able to ride out price spikes (it hit over $4/gallon the winter before we moved out here).  

I fill the tank each August with about 400 gallons of propane.  Getting it in August allows me to buy at the bottom on the normal price curve.  Having such a large tank allows me to avoid having a delivery contract for a minimum purchase over the winter.  Plus, if we decide to convert the house heat to propane instead of the electric heat pump, the capacity is in place.

The tank has about 800 gallons of propane in it when it's "full."  The propane company told me in advance that the tank will only be filled to 80% of the nominal capacity.  

The refill this summer occurred in less than 90 minutes from the time I called it in.  That was a fluke; I'm sure the truck guy was somewhere close when we called.  However, it is always done within one day.
Couple of points. Propane tanks are never to be filled past 80% capacity. The remaining 20% space allows for normal expansion of the propane gas on hot days. It's the NPGA standard regardless of where you are located.

Second, you may want to consider putting in an underground propane tank. They come in various sizes. Yes, the install cost is more but now the unsightly above ground tank is now out of sight. Also, if you're in a flood prone area there's much less likelihood of the tank floating away.
This has been a very interesting post. I have learned a lot from this. While I have nothing to add I gained a lot. Thank You guys. Roly
I have always used 500 gallon tanks. Around here the best prices are one year pay in advance contracts from ag co-op.
Tank got installed Tuesday, 325 gallon. It's funny, I spent 3 weeks calling 2 different places, neither of which seemed interested in talking to me. Last thursday was picking up my daughter and took a pic of a nameplate on a tank where I was picking her up. called them friday, they set the tank tuesday.