8" Jointer
Question 
I need a jointer and decided to pursue an 8 inch however I can't make up my mind between the Jet, Grizzly and recently discovered  Shop Fox. I liked the Powermatic just can't justify the cost. Initially I was leaning toward the Grizzly G0656 but saw the Shop Fox W1741 that can be purchased on Amazon with Free Shipping and no tax which makes this similar to purchasing the 8 inch Grizzly. The Shop Fox has parallelogram beds that are lever controlled. I don't have any knowledge of the parallelogram setup and preferred the crank wheel for adjusting the beds like the 8 inch Grizzly has but maybe that is not as big a deal with the parallelogram. Can anyone give me some advice on that as well as thoughts on Shop Fox. I noticed Shop Fox is very similar to Grizzly however Shop Fox has a 2 year warranty and Grizzly has a one year warranty. Thanks much for any help just trying to purchase a decent jointer for home use and only want to purchase once. 
Smile
I have the Shop Fox W1741 going on about 6 years now .  Zero issues with it.  I am very happy with it.  I put a Byrd head in mine.  It is the same jointer as the G490.  Shop Fox is the retail side of Grizzly.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Great, I was curious just recently saw them and for the price seemed pretty good. Thank you much for responding.
Have you checked Craigslist? Two or three 8" jointers are in the Louisville CL (plus a 16" monster!)

If you could use a phase converter 3-phase machines often show up.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I am not close to any of those and most used units I saw were not far off purchasing new. Thanks much.
I first used a Shop Fox 8" heli head with parallelogram adjustment. Loved it. When I bought, the Griz was the better deal so I went that way, mine is the model just before this one. I love it, and am happy I bought it. My suggestion would be whichever had the lowest net cost to your door, and you wouldn't go wrong
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
My understanding is the shop fox and grizzly are the same machine. Grizzly is sold directly and the shop fox are usually sold through third-party dealers. I've had really good customer service with grizzly so I would recommend their model. I've never had the lever operated models. Always prefer the hand wheels.
Thanks much guys, I preferred hand wheel adjustments I didn't know if the parallelogram set up was different since they seem to be lever. I am kind of leaning toward the Grizzly 8 inch with hand wheeled wedge beds.
My take on hand wheels over parallelogram operated beds is that with the wheels an adjustment would take minutes to be exact, with the parallelogram, it's literally just 3 seconds, and I find I can much more easily return to a setting. I have something like 45 years using the wheels, and on my first try with the parallelogram I felt I had mastered what I needed to do. If the words easy peasy ever applied to anything..............

If you can physically go to a Shop fox dealer, play with both types, it won't matter if one is a 6" and the other an 8". I think you will sell yourself.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I went out of my way with my 6" jointer to get one with handwheels.  I got such a great deal on my W1741 that I took a chance with the levers.  I love the levers.  They are super fast.  I can't imagine going back to handwheels.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"