Wood Id
I bought this wood many years ago from a central KY wood mill. They said it was hard maple and it was in 2x2 plus in 24" lengths. I have used most of it over the years and have always wondered if it really was maple. It has a very fine grain and is hard like maple, but the sapwood is more yellowish and the heart wood is not the same brown as maple. Almost looks like hickory, but the end grain is different from the hickory that I have worked with. What ever it is, I am sure it comes from KY. 

[Image: Wood13.jpg]

[Image: Wood24.jpg]
There is some tear out from hand planing with a not so sharp iron
Kentucky Coffeetree?

wood database link
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
The coffee tree lumber I have seen has grain very similar to oak so I don't this thats it. 

I got this from Rockyhill Lumber down in Munfordville about 6 -7 years ago.
That bigger piece with the hole sure looks like hickory to me.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Plenty of Hickory in Kentucky.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The end grain, which is proof positive for any type wood, says it hickory.
Does hickory give off a slight potpourri smell when cut?
The Wood Database lists 7 different Hickories, and none are stated to have any characteristic odor. The Hickories I have used I would have to agree with that, sometimes I know it's Hickory, just not 100% of which one. Woods with different species are like that sometimes.

I can smell cedars, and the spicy smell on cocobolo, and that's about it. Sometimes people on here talk about odors that I can't smell. 42 years of those darn cigs ruined my sniffer. Now burning it I can smell different odors on many woods, probably goes back to the cigs
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Honey Locust?  It's hard.  Sapwood is yellow.  End grain is very similar.

[Image: honey-locust-endgrain-gw.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree that the piece on the left in the picture definitely looks like Hickory. Also, I don't know about the Wood Database but Hickory has a very distinctive smell when worked and I'm also a smoker. It's not offensive but neither is it pleasant, at least to me.