Miter gauge vs miterset
Lets start with the fact that I have no affiliation with any woodworking gauge making company. 

I ran across this on YouTube. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPD6MC0mV0)

It is a video about this setup gauge set.
[Image: feature3.jpg?6462641912994758075]

The one on the left looked interesting, but I purchased an Incra Miter Gauge instead.  Has anyone used the one on the left as well as an Incra, or Osborne, or other great gauge?  Can you compare the two?  This is the first I have seen the one on the right.  Izzy Swan made this look very easy, and I am sure it is.  However, is it any better than an Incra, Osbore, etc., for setting angles 4,6,8,10,12,15,18,20 sided shapes?  I can see the advantages for 7, 11, 13,14, 16 and 17 sided shapes, due to the fractional angles.

FYI, you can find an angle chart at the bottom of this page.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
WOW!  That looks amazing!  I have been interested in segmented turning but never had the time or patience to make the necessary jig.  This looks too good to be true.  I'm going to think about it over night, if I feel the same way in the morning, I will PULL the trigger.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I don't own the miterset but I do own an Incra 1000HD.     I think the miter set would be great if you had an OEM miter gauge.   The Incra is so accurate once dialed in that you don't need the miterset.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
The Kreg's and Osborne's are so accurate right out of the box, there wouldn't be a need for that. Both of the one's shown operate by putting a pin in not just one, but 2 holes. If it is loose enough to pull the pins out, and reinsert that alone is enough slop to make them less accurate than a gauge that doesn't work that way. You need to be careful about video presentations, it isn't that guys first go round with that jig, and from ShopSmiths to Alex Snodgrass doing "bandsaw magic" they make it look so easy, even a caveman can do it
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Funny I have a very early version of the miter set when it was developed and sold by Woodhaven.  The advantage is repeatability.  If you have to change the setting of the miter gauge and then go back to the original if the miter set was used it will set the miter gauge dead on.
I'm no fan of the incra but even if I was I would still question repeatability of an angle over and over and over as it ages.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
I just used mine today to reset my oem gauge. I also have two Incra gauges but my go-to is the oem.
Interesting and I recall -- as another posted -- the Woodhaven unit of more than a few years ago.   Also believe that it would beneficial for a OEM miter gauges, which are not known for their accuracy and repeatability.

Logged on the mitrer-Set web page and was surpised at the US$69.95 price. IO thought it would be much more than that. If you purchase both, there is a price break.  http://miterset.myshopify.com/
I have one and it's awesome for use with an OEM miter gauge.  For segments, it's even more handy than a Dubby. As the video illustrates, it's ridiculously easy to use.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I pulled the trigger.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-09-2016, 10:41 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I pulled the trigger.

Let us know if you get results like Izzy on the first try.  I have not doubt that you will get great results.  I know the Incra miter gauge changed my woodworking.  However, is it really that great on the first go?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe