Wiring a compressor for 220v ?
I recently picked up a compressor in partial trade for a spare tire, not just any spare tire, but one for a 1930 Ford Roadster. The compressor is a 60g 4hp that seems to be in great condition. I saw it run and it's quiet and smooth. It was hardwired previously, but I need to put a plug on it since I'll need the outlet for other reasons occasionally.

Anyway, I had a neighbor drop by and he offered to wire the compressor for me, but it doesn't SEEM right to me. Of course, I know very little about 220v wiring, so I thought I'd ask here since there are several of you who know your 'lectrical stuff.

In the picture below, the orange wire is going to the plug, and the black wires are going out the right side of the switch to the motor. I understand that both of those black wires are the two legs of 110v that make up the 220v (verbage may be muddled there, but I hope you guys understand). My neighbor used only 3 wires from the plug, and that's where I'm lost. He used the white and black for the hots. I thought I needed to use a red and black for the 2 hot wires, the green for ground and white for neutral. Problem is, there are only 3 wires from the switch going to the motor also.

I'm lost and don't want to turn this thing into garbage. Are only 3 leads needed for this? Does this look correct to you? If not, what do I need to change??

Pic:

[Image: 20160908_163245_zpsd0ogfi6r.jpg]

[Image: 20160908_163217_zps5qo2hpup.jpg]
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Really need to see the other end of the orange wire to make sure.  What kind of plug is on the other end?

It "MIGHT" be correct - based on the other end of the wire.
Unfortunately Erwin moved to be closer to his kids. But give Chuck S. a call, he could be of some help.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Yeah, I should have thought of that.

Pics:

[Image: 20160908_224437_zps9gjmucuc.jpg]

[Image: 20160908_224447_zpsd3eu8y79.jpg]

The ground prong isn't even used. I have that in the box. He said the ground and neutral can be the same?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Yes. It's ok. You only provided (orange cable) three wires for him to install. He had to use the white as a hot as using the green as a hot is a no-no. It's for ground only. And yes, neutral and common are both grounds.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Neutral and white are the same but not the same in 110 volt wiring.  
In 220 volt wiring in this case the white becomes a hot so you need the ground
Either way I would hook the ground up in all cases but that is just me....
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
A neutral is only used when 120V is required, such as a range or clothes dryer, in which case four conductors are used. And the equipment grounding conductor is always required, unless the equipment is double-insulated and listed (UL, CSA, etc.) as such.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
It would have been nice, if he would have marked the white wire with another color - colored tape is the "normal" method.  This will indicate that it is a "hot" wire and not "neutral".

Otherwise - looks fine to me.
Can you even buy a 110v 4 hp motor? Unless it is a crapsman using their inflated and inaccurate HP claims I cannot say I have seen one on a compressor

As others said wiring the 220 wiring is fine 

220 does not require a neutral (White) in a compressor setup ergo White is used as the second hot leg in 220 and green is used as ground I usually tape the white black for my own benefit but as I was told one time  electricity is colorblind 
Winkgrin
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-08-2016, 10:48 PM)Rob Young Wrote: But give Chuck S. a call, he could be of some help.

I don't have a clue who Chuck S is, but if he knows how to do this safely and correctly, he should come over. Improperly wired anything that causes a fire, also generally waives your insurance if it is found to be the cause of the fire. Last I read statistics, poorly run electric is still the leading cause of home fires. Not saying guys here don't know how, just saying they aren't there, and electrical work is hands on stuff.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW