Photography Backdrop
(09-10-2016, 04:36 AM)arw01 Wrote: Also have since picked up a couple of black ones in kits from Costco for the car, but mostly use a sheet of baltic birch plywood if I want to shoot anything that is not very large in size, bounce flash off the ceiling can help too with a fill card to flip some light forward to help fill overhangs.

It's so massively easier with digital cameras vs film I learned photography with as you get to see you screwed it up for free and not $9.95 for 36 developed and printed photos.

Problem with other than dead white/gray/black backgrounds is they lend some color to the lighting.  You can overpower their effect easily with cheap floodlights.

Before I built any of the elaborate tents you see in articles, I'd try some toilet paper over the floods for lower intensity dispersal.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use a window shade (white) mounted to the floor joists overhead. I roll it down when I want to use it. I should have gotten a wider one, though, something I will remedy when I get a chance.
I appreciate the replies so far! I don't build a lot of small stuff, unfortunately for my back. I'd say my average piece is 4' wide. Most of the backdrops I'm seeing are only around 4 or 5 feet wide, and I think that's too small. Like Phil, ideally I'd like to find something that I could mount to the ceiling and just pull down when it's time to shoot.
-Marc

without knowing how big of projects you are trying to photo it is difficult to recommend something. Neal Addy's web sight is an excellent place to start. http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16
I use a cheep photo tent for most of my small projects (woodturnings and boxes) I also use a very nice Background, Per Neal's suggestion.
I use #39 found here  http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm
The beauty of the graduated backdrop is that you can move the shading up of down for more dramatic affects . You must be careful not to scratch them. to go wider you can make you own or hang two or more side by side. I like the shade Idea
THTH
Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop