Water based Poly
It's got to be something I'm doing wrong, only I can't figure it out.

First time using Minwax water based poly and no matter what I do it looks like crap.  All it does is leave patches of bubbles.  I've tried brushing and foam brushes and it doesn't make any difference.  I think my next experiment will be putting it on with a broom, it can't look any worse.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff that could give me a few tips on how to avoid getting bubbles with every stroke?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Maybe you got a bad can of finish? I have used it without  problem, but prefer the oil based finish.
I used a water-based poly on a bathroom remodel and it was so thin there were no bubbles.  

Is it a fresh can?  Stirred well?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-09-2016, 02:16 PM)gMike Wrote: It's got to be something I'm doing wrong, only I can't figure it out.

First time using Minwax water based poly and no matter what I do it looks like crap.  All it does is leave patches of bubbles.  I've tried brushing and foam brushes and it doesn't make any difference.  I think my next experiment will be putting it on with a broom, it can't look any worse.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff that could give me a few tips on how to avoid getting bubbles with every stroke?

Good stuff. I switched to it from lacquer. I spray it though. It does not brush well.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you're looking for water based poly, use General Finish High Performance.  No bubbles, self-leveling, dries within 2 hours, very durable finish, and applies nicely with a foam brush.   I had the same problem you did until I switched.   The additional cost/price is well worth the result.
I have used quite a bit of the Minwax Oil Modified water based poly and have no problems applying with either a foam brush or spraying. I have found that finish to be very durable and easy to use.   Stir, don't shake.  It gives me enough open time to level off major errors. It flows out good, so after feathering off, I will walk away and it always looks better when I return. It sands nicely between coats also.
(09-09-2016, 02:16 PM)gMike Wrote: It's got to be something I'm doing wrong, only I can't figure it out.

As this is the easiest stuff I can get in town, I've used maybe a few gallons (a quart at a time).

1) Minimize the shaking if you are using one with flattening agents.  Just stir.  I've not found a need to stir the gloss more than a few swizzles as there isn't anything in suspension.

2) If using a foam brush, wet the brush in water (distilled or bottled if you have it just in case your tap water is funky).  Wring out the brush and get to work.  While waiting between coats, store the brush in the same cup of water.  

3) Get a decent foam brush.  Hard to describe and I've yet to find a proper brand name but I like the ones with wooden handles, the little plastic paddle inside the brush and they feel a bit on the firm side.  My local Ace Hardware has ones that are good.  The Home Depot store seems to be buying from different vendors all the time. YMMV

4) Best solution of all, stop brushing the stuff and start spraying it.  I think you can even buy the stuff in aerosol cans if the project is small enough.

I just wish there was a GF dealer in my town and I didn't have to drive between 40 and 60 minutes to get the stuff.  I'd switch in a heartbeat.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Stirred? Not shaken?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Bob, you can buy GF's products on line from various vendors - even Amazon carries some of their products.  

John