Working with reclaimed lumber
(09-11-2016, 04:07 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Wire brush and a good metal detector or strong magnet might find most of the metal, but you can never be sure.

Neat stuff sometimes, but be careful!

Or get good at changing knives
No

Depends on what it is reclaimed from, but if it was hard use, like a barn, then it has all manner of rock, nails, bullets, and whatnot, so yeah to the metal detector, and as a clean up I'm partial to a power washer, blows the gunk off fast, sticker it out to dry for a few weeks, and get with it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I picked up another stack of pews not sure what they will become yet but nice long boards from Grand Rapids Michigan

[Image: 00J0J_jgfXfWx9JUE_600x450.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Awesome Bob
Wink
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

look at fellow who works with Fixer Upper magnolia name is Clint Harper for inspiration. He makes some very nice long tables for a lot of her flips. He is in Waco. google him for a better look. 

gallery

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/fixer-upper/cl...e-pictures

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/skills-...p-pictures

Bob, Are most church pews oak? Can that be on long board?
I believe that is the Holy Grail of repurposeable wood
Big Grin
Big Grin

Nice score
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
+1

If those are solid wood boards with decent thickness, then you are just a couple sledge hammer blows from an incredible stash. Nice sweat equity wood!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
The first set was oak and from a different church even though they were shorter they were heavier than these.  The woman at the church said they might be hickory the figure isn't oak at first I thought they were Walnut I will have time tomorrow to sand off some of the finish.

Just looked up the church seems it opened up in 1868 so no telling how old these are as the American Seating company has been around a long time too
The stamp on them went into production in 1906 so newer than that
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Reclaimed lumber is mostly what I use.

My first post was to see lf I could yet. I have a 18" wood master planer with a spiral head. The teeth are sharpened on all 4 sides. I f you hit a nail all you have to do is turn the damaged ones not having to take them out like you do the straight knives. I just joined this forum. I am a retired school bus driver. 30 years of that was enough of that. I am also on disability after breaking my back when a ladder broke and I feel across the side board of a trailer. I used to do carpentry work on the side before the fall. I have had both hips replaced,and a pace maker put in,and several other health problems. I have built houses,done remodeling,built furniture,and all sorts of wood working. Now that I am retired I mainly make toys and models out of wood. I make all sorts of vehicles from farm tractors, bull dozers ,18wheelers, cars and so on. I love this kind of work and I can do most of it sitting down because of my back i can not stand for very long at a time.
Reclaimed lumber is mostly what I use.

My first post was to see lf I could yet. I have a 18" wood master planer with a spiral head. The teeth are sharpened on all 4 sides. I f you hit a nail all you have to do is turn the damaged ones not having to take them out like you do the straight knives. I just joined this forum. I am a retired school bus driver. 30 years of that was enough of that. I am also on disability after breaking my back when a ladder broke and I feel across the side board of a trailer. I used to do carpentry work on the side before the fall. I have had both hips replaced,and a pace maker put in,and several other health problems. I have built houses,done remodeling,built furniture,and all sorts of wood working. Now that I am retired I mainly make toys and models out of wood. I make all sorts of vehicles from farm tractors, bull dozers ,18wheelers, cars and so on. I love this kind of work and I can do most of it sitting down because of my back i can not stand for very long at a time.

Welcome Mr. gmcooter to the WN.  It is a great place.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Here is a small piece that was used as part of the center support.  No idea what it is as most everything I make is oak or maple stained to match a project or painted

The bottom section is what showed
[Image: 20160915_133157_zpsoeklrumo.jpg]

Phil Thien