Stanley #77 Dowel Machine
OK. You have this on your bucket list and now is the time to pull the trigger. This is a nice doweling machine. I spent some time going over the parts to make sure that everything worked. The first one out of the boneyard had user mods on the shaft (who peins a shaft in place???) and the second one had a butchered cutter (ouch! It took lots of time to bugger it up that much.). So here is a nice clean frame with a proper shaft and a nice tailstock that has not been stripped (those reverse threads can flummox the unsuspecting beginner). The cutter is sharp and works well. The die is the standard 3/8". All working and with a base. Also included is a copy of my illustrated instructions. Everything you need to make Harry Potter wands for all of the children in your neighborhood. Get this one for only $299 with FREE shipping to most USA locations.

[Image: DSCN0583.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0584.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0585.jpg]

Hurry--Christmas is just around the corner.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Bump for those who are in denial about needing one of these most excellent gizmos.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I want this SO bad.....
I cut it three times & it's still too short!
Much more fun than wasting hours on the computer. Unless it's here, of course!
Smile
I have no idea how it works, but it looks cool.
Sort of the post-industrial look.
(09-23-2016, 04:12 AM)Herb G Wrote: I have no idea how it works, but it looks cool.
Sort of the post-industrial look.

Square stock goes through the appropriately sized square hole on the wheel.

Turn the handle and push stock though the cutter, similar to a pencil sharpener.

The finished dowel comes out the other end.
(09-23-2016, 05:21 PM)highpi Wrote: Square stock goes through the appropriately sized square hole on the wheel.

Turn the handle and push stock though the cutter, similar to a pencil sharpener.

The finished dowel comes out the other end.

Exactly. There are several different sized cutters available. The stock is cut square and 1/8" larger than the dowel. This machine has the 3/8" cutter attached so the stock is 4/8" or 1/2" square. Dial up the 1/2" square hole to keep the stock from rotating, turn the crank to start the cutter moving, and then hand feed the stock into the cutter. It travels down the hollow shaft. Goes in square--comes out round! Good for hours of fun.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The real question is does it make a round dowel Jim? The Chinese haven't figured out how to make a round dowel yet. Most of the dowels at Home Depot come in various shapes, except round.
(09-24-2016, 06:01 AM)frigator Wrote: The real question is does it make a round dowel Jim?  The Chinese haven't figured out how to make a round dowel yet. Most of the dowels at Home Depot come in various shapes, except round.

The geometry of the cutters vs wood means that the dowel approximates round. The cutting is spiral and the depth of the spiral depends on your feed. You cannot see these spirals, of course, because they are faint. Remember that these machines were made for woodworking dowels and they excel at that task. The lateral cutting leaves a rough surface parallel to the grain that is perfect for glue. When making Harry Potter wands, the round sticks need to be sanded a bit.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Sold!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite