Bronze US Post Office mailbox door
The holidays approach and it is time to get back into the workshop and make some gifts. Here is the perfect solution where you exercise your substantial WW skills and you encourage thrift in recipients who need a gentle reminder. I was rattling around in the boneyard and found this "projects" box of doors. It is time to move them from my shop to your shop. This is an early style--probably 1930s or 1940s) with the "US" casting. It will give your bank that timeless look. The small size makes a good bank and I will include hinge pins (bent finish nails) as these do not have the attached frame. Leave it with a patina or buff it until your eyes water--your choice. I will also provide the combination for each (no key for the little one to lose). Act now because I think these things are a runaway holiday item. Only $29 each with FREE shipping to most USA locations. Quantity discounts available. Hurry.

[Image: DSCN0578.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0579.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I just don't understand how those hinges are supposed to work.  Seems like the other half is missing.
Big Grin 
Might help your sale if you remove the sticker from the first photo.
Wink

Mike
(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)mbg Wrote: Might help your sale if you remove the sticker from the first photo.
Wink

Mike

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
(09-11-2016, 08:33 AM)deepcreek Wrote: I just don't understand how those hinges are supposed to work.  Seems like the other half is missing.

Sorry for the confusion. These older style mailboxes were attached to a large frame and the second part of the hinge was there. I carried these things around for years pondering the issue. My final solution was to use hinge pins like we used back in the day to attach gates on the horsepen. Here is a photo of my mock up.

[Image: DSCN0587_1.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0589.jpg]

(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)mbg Wrote: Might help your sale if you remove the sticker from the first photo.
Wink

Mike

(09-11-2016, 09:10 AM)pinky Wrote:
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I like to leave as much history as possible for the new owner. In this particular case, I did not even pay full sticker price. But that was a long time ago. These are priced about 10-15% lower than auction prices as best as I can tell. Here is the original invoice.
[Image: DSCN0586.jpg]
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
you've been rust hunting almost longer than I've been alive...

No wonder you're better at it than I am.

Big Grin
Hey, I was in middle school that year!
(09-12-2016, 09:29 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: you've been rust hunting almost longer than I've been alive...

No wonder you're better at it than I am.

Big Grin

Well I started by tagging along with my parents. They liked antique furniture and outfitted my bedroom with prizes from dusty backrooms. I was too big for the iron crib and they replaced it with an old spool bed when I was about four. The next antique trip was to pick up a dresser. I guess I thought all furniture came from barns and dusty old shops. Most of my toys were cast offs from the older kids in the neighborhood. Well used and missing parts. That is when I got the bug to fix stuff. A three wheeled car is more fun to play with if it has another wheel carved from wood. The rust hunting came later.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(09-12-2016, 12:14 PM)Matt Williams Wrote: Hey, I was in middle school that year!

I think I was between 1st and 2nd grade...

I used to think all furniture was antique too. I think my parents bought one couch new, ever. My grandparents were big antique folks too, especially once they retired. The once went to Nova Scotia "on the way home from Boston" (to Vermont) to go to an auction :
Smile

My other grandfather was a post master. One day I'll think of a cool project for a PO box door. Only reason I haven't jumped on one so far is I'm trying not to accumulate too much "future project" stuff until it's time.
Benny

I have 10 doors waiting to be projects.  The rate I'm going they'll be gifts for my grandkids!