Borescope or flexible scope to see what is blocking my toilet
I have a son who has a fascination with flushing things down the toilet.  Sometimes it is just too much paper and sometimes it is bags of floss or the like.  He has Downs Syndrome so telling him no and punishments have so far met with minimal success.  I have pulled the toilet more times than I care to remember.  Looking online, I came across these borescopes or inspection scopes that are supposed to connect to a phone or laptop and are water proof.  Are there any that are worth the money that I could get through the toilet so I can see if the issue one requiring a toilet extraction or if it is just in need of further plunging?  On a related note, I discovered wax rings at home depot that are not wax and appear to be reusable? Anyone have any experience with these?
SanI seal rings, a number of guys here use them with good success.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Buy a good quality toilet auger. The Rigid extendable is one of the best. It will break up or push through most clogs.
The $10 boreoscopes work pretty well. Just as good as the expensive milwaukee one.  

As for the seal I use the silicone toilet seals as its a better material than the Sani seal ones which are basically made out of life preserver foam. They are reusable and they include a spacer if you need it and even if your toilet rocks it will never leak. I'm not sure why wax rings are even on the market now. 

Course I remember years ago going into home depot when there was only one around and looking for a wax ring.... They didn't stock them and didn't have a clue what it was even though they sold toilets... The kids working there today know more than the "pros" they used to have years ago. Lowes didn't even exist here then either..
Wish I had thought of using a borescope before I bought a new toilet for our one bathroom. I plunged it, I snaked it, nothing I did made it flush poop. Gave up, bought a new toilet, pulled the old one and found a long screwdriver in the waste line. Seems it somehow fell in when the previous owner had the toilet off.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

When my sons were younger we had a similar problem.  Liquids flushed fine, solids did not without much plunging.

Snake went in fine, other checks, etc. were clear.  

Finally pulled the toilet and found a wood pencil stuck in it.
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I ordered my bores cope and bought the silicone gasket. Just for giggles, I tried the toilet snake one last time and it seems to have cleared the clog. If it reoccur then I will be ready.
The worst clog I ever experienced was the result of a toothbrush.

I told the family that someone knew something about whatever was clogging the toilet.  And that once I retrieved said item, the culprit would be clear.

Lots of shrugs.

I finally retrieved the toothbrush from the toilet, and then counted four toothbrushes in the holder (family of four).

Aha!  Someone dropped their brush in the toilet and immediately replaced it, without telling me.

But there was problem.  The toothbrush I had retrieved from the toilet didn't match any of our colors, and it was a different brand.  A rogue toothbrush.  In the toilet.

To this day, we still have no explanation for what happened.  The best we can figure, a guest used our bathroom to brush their teeth, and then disposed of the brush down the toilet.
I found a pack of ez flossers still in the pouch, the toilet paper roll holder, tubes of toothpaste, bottles of kids toothpaste, the cardboard rolls that toilet paper come on and a razor.  So far, no toothbrushes.
(09-11-2016, 12:17 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:  

As for the seal I use the silicone toilet seals as its a better material than the Sani seal ones which are basically made out of life preserver foam. They are reusable and they include a spacer if you need it and even if your toilet rocks it will never leak. I'm not sure why wax rings are even on the market now. 

What brand of silicone toilet seal do you recommend?