Wood for pendulum shaft
For the pendulum cradle that I am building, I need to turn some rods for the 2 pendulum shafts/axles (the shafts that connect the cradle to the base).

Are there woods that are especially good or that I should avoid for the shafts?

The plans call for 1" diameter but I may make them slightly larger depending on the stock.

I have some dry ebony, cocobolo, maple, and african blackwood blanks that I could use. I think that there may be a chunk of lignum vitae tucked away somewhere, but I think that it is fully waxed.

I have also considered using some thin polyethylene sheet to wrap around the outside of the shaft. I expect that I am over thinking this.
Crazy Feel free to tell me that if I am.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Used these. http://www.rockler.com/pivot-hinges-pair Variation using two arms, swing hinges high to trestle and low on the basket making a parallelogram, and the cradle becomes a glider.  VERY nice, especially when you make the cradle big enough for twins. .
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Use whatever looks nice and has straight enough grain for the application. No baby is going to wear out moving parts on a cradle.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I think you are overthinking this, but I applaud the effort anyway. Lignum vitae was used for propeller shafts because of its oily self-lubricating nature, so that or the cocobolo make sense for that reason. Persimmon has very high wear resistance, but any harder wood properly waxed would last as long as the rest of the cradle IMO.

It isn't the baby that rocks the cradle, it is grandparents.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I used brass threaded rod, brass washer and cap nut. I thought it looked nice.

[Image: 105_0083.jpg]
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15