Laguna Bandsaw: Followup
Some time ago I posted a query concerning the Laguna 14-12.  To make a long story short, I upgraded to the Laguna 14bx with the 2.5 hp motor.  
What I really wanted was one of those Italian saws but no $$ and no space forced me to compromise.  The 14bx is a full frame unit (unlike the 14-12 which is a
unit on base configuration).  The 14bx sort of looks like a 3/4 version of its Italian cousins: perfect fit for my shop. 

Unit came shipped in styrofoam sarcophagus which easily took over an hour to break apart and fit into two very large garbage pails. That effort along 
with the breakdown of the shipping pallet took way longer that the actual setup of the saw. 

I was able to raise saw from horizontal to vertical position without assistance and got the mobility kit installed sans instructions. 

As far as instructions go, they are no better and no worse then the typical Asian instructions we get with most big equipment. 

I proceeded to install the Laguna 3/4" Resaw King and did a quick and dirty calibration of the table, fence, and guides. 

This was my first experience with re-sawing and I have to say, this is GREAT!  

I made some thin (maybe not veneer thin, but thin by my measure) cuts in cherry, cedar, and maple.  Here are some pics 
of the results:

[Image: IMG_0519_zpsfqbdpwsl.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0521_zpsyheasxep.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0517_zpspo3hqqpa.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0518_zpscen6xpqs.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0516_zpsynnlbgnw.jpg]

The pic above shows a 9 1/2 wide piece of cedar and when I completed the cut, I measured a roughly 1/64" difference in 
thickness from the start to the finish of the cut: would this be the dreaded drift I've heard so much about?  I skipped the section
in the instructions pertaining to drift and just kept my fingers crossed.  Did i do good? 

[Image: IMG_0522_zpsw4f5axep.jpg]

I have to say I am pretty happy with the saw so far:  build quality is up there with the best Taiwanese machines. Time will tell
if this was the right saw, but at this point, I'd say it was.
I think you did a good job! But, I think I do good when I can get two 1/4 inch pieces from one 3/4 inch piece.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Congrats! Looks veneer thin to me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice saw.
Your work looks to be about 2' long, <>1/64 (.015) is pretty good.
Pretty - good - enough.
When ripping 3/4 flat I get about .005 difference over 3' using the SUV. So I think you could tweak a little more while re sawing if you want to.
A dial indicator will be your friend.
Ag
Nice saw Phillip!  I have a Resaw King blade on my 14/12.  I think it works well with the ceramic guides and I consider the guides a premium feature of the saw.  I spent a little time getting the blade and fence aligned to each other and I can cut thin veneers @ 0.020" in material 5-7" in width.  Like Ag said you can get the variance from end to end of only a few thousands.  I've never corrected for drift.  I figured a saw isn't cutting right if you have to adjust for drift.  I am very careful about the initial engagement of the blade into the wood and also to keep the wood as flat as possible against the fence.  A lot of opportunity opens up for you when you can cut your own veneer.  Have fun man!

Lonnie
Excellent, Phillip! You're going to love your Laguna. I love mine. Really good saws.
Congrats.  I'm sure you'll never regret stepping up to the better saw.  A BS that cuts properly sure is a joy to use.  

John
(09-13-2016, 03:25 PM)paarker Wrote: I think you did a good job! But, I think I do good when I can get two 1/4 inch pieces from one 3/4 inch piece.

I know that feeling especially if I don't want to change blades...
(09-14-2016, 12:05 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I know that feeling especially if I don't want to change blades...

I really wish I had kept my small Delta BS instead of selling it when I got the Laguna.  I sold it because space is at a premium in my shop but it would sure be nice to not have to change blades.  I've considered getting a small bench top just to have a 1/4" blade available at a moment's notice.  It's not hard to see why big commercial shops have multiples of many machines.

Lonnie
Grizzly recently launched a portable BS that may meet that need for you. I'm considering it for job site use.

John