Optimal filtering and moisture management for HVLP finishing (on a budget) ?
I recently installed a new large compressor and purchased a good HVLP gun (QualSpray AM-6008/PPS) and now I am ready to do the plumbing for the air. I am running a dedicated line for finishing, and I have purchased an in-line filter, water trap, and hose reel. I have the regulator and final filter  that goes on the gun also.

My question now is:

Where in the line route do I install the air filters?

I've read in several places that the filters should be several feet down the line from the compressor, in order to allow the air to return to ambient temp and the vapor to form into droplets for easier removal by the filters. However, they aren't very specific, although I'm not sure how exact this needs to be anyway. My layout allows me to place the filter just about anywhere, so I'm flexible, but would like a little direction from experienced sprayers.

Also, if you have any other advice, please share.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(09-14-2016, 03:22 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Also, if you have any other advice, please share.

Look both ways before crossing the street.

Always have on clean underwear when leaving the house.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Just mount it on a wall in a convenient area. Maybe close to where you intend to spray? Drain your filters and tank after every use. You don't have to empty the tank, just enough to get the water out. Something else I do is put a blow gun at the end of your hose and blow it out before spraying. Get the spiders out. This is going to be easier than you think.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Greg,
A good setup is to run a minimum or 20-25' of line out of the compressor before installing the filters.  This greatly reduces the condensation.  I have a 2 1/2 car garage.  I ran a line over the top of the overhead door to the other side for a drop.  Half-way across I inserted a tee fitting and ran another line back to where I started at the compressor.  This is my drop on the compressor side of my shop.  This gives me at least 25' of line to each drop.

This picture shows the compressor side setup.  Note that the bottom pipe is the feed from the compressor.

[Image: 20160217_230950.jpg]

[Image: 20160525_111629.jpg]

Here's a picture showing the tee that goes back to the compressor and into the filter setup.

[Image: 20160207_195715.jpg]

[Image: 20160207_195622.jpg]

Here's the drop on the other side of the shop with filter.

[Image: 20160217_231127.jpg]

Final shot - up and running!

[Image: 20160525_111857.jpg]

I used Pneumatic Plus filter/regulator setups.  I haven't used them before but so far seems o.k.  I tried to get my regulator and filter as far away from the compressor as I could -and- as close to my work as possible.

Lonnie
Thanks for the info and pics. Fortunately, I can get about 20 ft prior to my air hose reel, and I can just add the filter units there. I'll add a couple condensation drops to the plan, though. I'm going to have to blow out my air hoses really well, though. I have quite a bit of moisture collected in them from my previous setup. Nothing an hour of use can't take care of. After I blow them out really well, I'll isolate my hoses that I'll dedicate to my HVLP setup and make sure they stay dry.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com