My ways, Your ways
I posted this question in Woodturning but there is very little traffic down there. 

A few days ago I cleaned, sanded, and treated my lathe ways with Boeshield T9.  The tail stock glided effortlessly!  But by today it had turned to a gummy sludge.  What do you guys use?  I like paste wax on the TS and BS but thought the ways could use a lubricant.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill
I have always used paste wax on my lathe ways. I would have responded in turning,but haven't gotten there yet. Don't know what is going on in turning,not much activity at all. I haven't done any turning lately so have had nothing to post, but do check it several times a day.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If I recall Boeshield turns gray but still lubricates well. Does the tail stock and banjo still slide easily?If so Don't worry about the gummy feeling.If they do not slide easily then start over.Clean the ways with a solvent that cuts thru Boeshield. Then wax  the bedways with Johnsons paste wax.

mike
After you applied Boeshield did you wipe it off to leave it basically dry and feeling slick? When I don't do that it gets gummy.
I understand and use Boeshield as a protectant.  If you're leaving your tools for a while without use, spray on a good coat and leave it "gummy".  If you're going for periodic protection, strip down what's on there, spray a coat, and buff it out once dry.  I then use a light coat of wax on top to reduce any friction.
I use Slip-It silicone free version.
Slicker than snot on a doorknob.
Winkgrin
Gulf wax. I use it all around the shop on most anything that moves and is exposed to sawdust.

[Image: 35891715-bd35-43cf-bd19-22dfc747428b_1.2...nBg=FFFFFF]
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Paste wax
Semper fi,
Brad

First off they need to be cleaned better it sounds like, if your lube turned to sludge it had help from accumulated very fine dust to larger chips stuck in tight places. I use this stuff to get into tight places, and it boils out most anything from rust, to dirt, wood pulp, you name it.

[Image: 41mevS3pCbL.jpg]

Not cheap but worth every cent you pay

For a lube after all is clean I like this stuff now I used to use a bicycle lube from Cali, no longer available the local bike guy says. Evidently the air laws out there chased it off the market
Rolleyes  
No  
Angry
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The orange can can only be a Kroil product.
Those folks make great lubes and solvents.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.