black pipe
leaking at the seam sounds more like something you would find with galvanized
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-16-2016, 09:02 AM)thooks Wrote:

But that is to simply provide a durable nipple to connect to the appliance, correct?

The reason was explained to keep the thinner flex pipe from rubbing against the sharp entry hole in the furnaces.
 They have required flex connectors, especially on non-rigid suspended furnaces.
same here IIRC pipe nipple exit of machine to flex 
similar to running wire into a machine something to act as a bushing to protect the insulation on the wire
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-16-2016, 09:02 AM)thooks Wrote: You should report any condition that is out of whack pertaining to the local codes/AHJ where the home is that you are inspecting.
No Sir. I am not a code inspector. I don't have a license for it nor do I pretend to be a code inspector. If you want a code inspection, call a county code inspector authorized to quote code in that county. Be prepared for him to condemn the house until a new occupancy permit is granted and all code violations are remedied. He can also make the owner demolish anything in the home that wasn't permitted, even if it meets code but he can't tell until the sheetrock is off the walls and the pilings for the deck are dug up. My job is to determine if any part of a home is not performing it's intended function or has excess wear, approximate life expectancy, note visibly leaking pipes, note incorrect wiring polarity, note incorrect terminations in the service panel,not water stains on the ceiling and in the attic and in the basement, note wood rot etc etc. That's about it.

In MOST AREAS OF THE US TODAY....36" of flexible connector is not only allowed, but REQUIRED as the final connection to the gas-fired appliances.

But that will NOT repair the OP's problem, IMO.  It appears he has a cracked fitting or loose fitting.  It needs to be disassembled back to the last fitting that is not leaking and inspected.

I trust pipe more than fittings, so I would re-use all the existing piping and replace ALL the fittings, including gas cocks, unions, etc.

If you are going to do this yourself, I hope you have some pipe fitting experience and that you use the newer blue pipe dope.

But that is to simply provide a durable nipple to connect to the appliance, correct?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

There's a national "Standard" for home inspections written by ASHI (American Society Of Home Inspectors). As far as I know, all states have adopted the standard for home inspections and the licensing in most states is based on that standard although all states don't require the same training, testing or ongoing training for inspectors. I'm compelled (in Maryland) to comply with the standard as is my report.

We have absolutely nothing to do with building code or enforcement or evaluation of it in any way. Period. Anything other than black pipe is outside the accepted ASHI standard and I'll point it out and recommend a plumber evaluate it.. It's up to the buyer of the inspection report to do whatever he/she wants with that information.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I dont get it either.  ASHI guidelines want you to report to homeowners that there is a flex line in the home and suggest that a plumber evaluate it, even though it may very well be code compliant in that locality?  Seems like 1. A good way to scare a homeowner with zero knowledge on the subject over something that may be a non-issue, and 2. a good way to put some of the homeowners cash into a plumbers pocket over something that may be a non-issue.
-who?
Not a "flex line in a home". A flex line to a gas furnace.

... Kizar Sosay

Roger that.. I get it .... thanks...
-who?
Interesting discussion as flex is required here for earthquakes. Ditto on water heaters. All flex I see goes directly to the furnace valve without a black pipe stub. That is how mine is plumbed too. And, I've never seen a home inspection with a flag for this condition.

Follow-up. What do home inspectors do about CSST? Its flexible stainless.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I believe (not sure) that's required here for appliances but not allowed for furnaces. Ca has it's own set of rules..regarding everything.

... Kizar Sosay