Finger Joint Adjustment
I completed cutting some finger joints with my table saw today. They came out just a tad tight. They go together, but must be forced with a mallet or clamp pressure. Short of adjusting the set-up and re-cutting them (which would waste the pieces), what would you do to accurately and consistently narrow the pins just a whisker to get a snug fit. I have some thoughts, but I would like to know what others do.
Personally, I like my finger joints to be tight. If they'll set together with mallet blows, then I'm fine with it.

If you want to sand each a little, then you can take a thin piece of wood and wrap some sandpaper over the end and do some light sanding. I've bought a little extra room before by taking a wooden paint stirring stick, and gluing a piece of medium sandpaper to it. I also once stole my wife's emery board (she uses it for her nails, what a waste!) for the task.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(09-15-2016, 09:25 PM)Willyou Wrote: I completed cutting some finger joints with my table saw today. They came out just a tad tight. They go together, but must be forced with a  mallet or clamp pressure. Short of adjusting the set-up and re-cutting them (which would waste the pieces), what would you do to accurately and consistently  narrow the pins just a whisker to get a snug fit. I have some thoughts, but I would like to know what others do.

I do my adjustment on the test pieces, not the project pieces.  Bet you will, too, next time.

Make a shallow slope wooden wedge as big, with sandpaper adhered to the straight face, as you wish the gap to be, and draw it through. Sort of a sandpaper file.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Exactly what Mike & Greg said.  To me that is a perfect initial cut - sand/file to fit snug.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Quote:I do my adjustment on the test pieces, not the project pieces.  Bet you will, too, next time.
I certainly do test pieces and had it set up just right. However, something about the final cuts was just a whisker off (hasn't that ever happened to you?). So. Here I am. I'll get it fixed. I was just wondering what others do under the circumstances. Thanks for the suggestions.
(09-16-2016, 10:13 PM)Willyou Wrote: I certainly do test pieces and had it set up just right. However, something about the final cuts was just a whisker off (hasn't that ever happened to you?). So. Here I am. I'll get it fixed. I was just wondering what others do under the circumstances. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't use a tablesaw jig for that reason. Always seemed too fussy. Now using the Router Workshop type jig.  Doesn't seem to happen.
Quote:I don't use a tablesaw jig for that reason. Always seemed too fussy. Now using the Router Workshop type jig.  Doesn't seem to happen.

Yes. I would ordinarily do that as well. However, this time the fingers I was cutting were wider than any router bit I have or any of the jig fingers. So, I was relegated to the table saw and dado set or make a special jig for the router table.
Not finger joints, then.  If the gaps are wider than your router bit, use a router to shave them to fit.
Quote:Not finger joints, then.

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that what I am cutting are not finger joints? What are they?

Quote:If the gaps are wider than your router bit, use a router to shave them to fit.

Please explain. I think some sort of jig would be required in order to accurately and consistently trim the proper amount. In my case, I've got 3/4" fingers with 3/4" gaps.