Electrical code as it relates to junction boxes
Am I correct in stating that all junction boxes must be accessible to meet code?

But how does one define accessible, would a junction box in an attic area buried in R39 of blown in insulation be considered accessible? Would you not have to remove a wall but it would still be a bear to get to.

That said would a junction box that merely had a circuit running through it without any connections just a pass through used for pulling the original wire be considered a junction box that had to be accessible?

Thanks in advance. Planning to rewire some circuits in the shop and deciding the path to take and want to be code compliant.
Two terms in the NFPA code. Readily accessible and accessible.
Readily accessible means you can walk right up to it without moving or removing anything. Think light switch or fuse/circuit breaker panel. Nothing can be piled in front of it. Some jurisdictions will not allow the panel to be in a closet because it may become buried.
Accessible means you can get to it without destroying or major dismantaling. You may have to get a ladder, crawl through an attic or crawl space, lift out a ceiling tile, unload a book shelf and move it, but not have to tear out some plaster or cut something out of the way. 
A pull box must be accessible so you can add or remove wires in the future.
At least that's the way I remember it from my working days.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
and as soon as someone makes one "inacessable", guess where the problem will be.

Upset
Upset
Upset

Ed
by putting boxes above the insulation you have an accessible and acceptable box 

why bury it if you know you may need to access it eventually 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The original owner of my house, built in 66'.  He decided to cover all his boxes with ceiling tile in the basement.  Then decided nothing needed a ground, even though the wire was in the older NM.  It was the smaller 16 gauge ground, but was insulated. It took me awhile to find them, until I decided to replace the ceiling.  In my attic it was almost as bad.  So when I did some wiring, I put posts in and mounted the boxes.  It saved me time a few years later when I added some lights.  In the basement I put in access panels in the ceiling so I can get to the wiring and the cable mounting points.  Dan