Powermatic 3520A
What would be a fair price for a 3520A good condition from a school lathe.  That's all the information I have, but a ball park number would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
A couple years ago I passed on one for $1800.00, however, if timing had been different I would've bought it.

Steve K
Steve K

I sold my old one to a friend for $1500. I had replaced the heatstock bearings, and the off/on and variable speed buttons after 8 or so years of heavy use. With the price of the B now well over $3000, I would not consider $1800 to be bad at all. $1500 would be a very good deal if it isn't beat up. I like the speed range on the A better than what they have on the B.

robo hippy
Ok feel free to call me a dumb A$$.  

Went to auction today and they had three PM3520A's from a school.  I dind't realize till it was too late but the winning bidder had the option of not only which one but how many.  The winner took 2 for $650. each.  Stupid me sat back and watched this guy take all 3 lathes.  Never crossed my mind at the time he would take them all.  The third one he got for around $450 I think, but that one had a damaged electronic controller and the casting on the safety cage was cracked so it looked as though it had been tipped over on its side.

Buyers remorse be with me today.  The way the bidder was bidding I think he would have gone higher than I would have anyway.  At least that's what I'm to tell myself.  Hope to God that some deserving Woodnetter was the winner.

Guess I'll be saving my money and give Brent English a call one of these days.

Mike
If you can get the buyer's contact info, they may be flipping them. If you get one from them before they have to do cleanup, then the markup might be more reasonable. At least, this way, you should be able to see it under power before shelling out the money.

I have seen discussion on some woodworking forums about replacing the power converters on this style of lathe with third party ones. The setup seems to be straightforward if you can find someone who knows the configuration/settings. I cannot remember, though, if those discussions were here or over on Wood Central.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have an A that I bought this year. I paid $1245 for it with some good accessories as well as it was almost new barley used at all. I drove 9 1/2 hrs each way and have been excited since I got it. In my opinion $1800 is a good deal for something well taken care of. The prices mentioned above I would have bought all 3