Who has an automatic water shutoff system?
(09-18-2016, 06:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:  Never dated her that I can remember.....
Laugh

If you had you would remember. 

John

Big Grin
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I like them however....  

Had come home one day and saw water running down the street from my next door neighbors house and his meter was about 200' from my driveway and down the steep hill.. I went and checked it out and the line from the meter to the house had broken. Turned out to be a polybutelene line feeding the house and they were junk and commonly used in the 80s and 90s for service from the meter to house.  
         Reached down and turned it off and luckily the meters were just replaced along with the water main so the valve turned easily by hand. 

Now the issue is that I don't know of any of those valves that you can connect right up to the meter and are rated for direct burial. 

Basically if you can't put it right at the meter it isn't going to catch what often is the common leakage which is the supply to the house from the meter.

That said...   I wonder about being able to use a solenoid and tie it into a motion sensor along with having the sprinkler system tied into it as well to open the valve. Could easily set that up as well as a push button timed override or override switch.
I just had a thought about how I ran my water main.  This might work for you as far as keeping the house safe.  I placed a hose bib before the shut off at the exterior of the house.  So if I want to shut down the house for repairs or additions I still have access to water outside the building.  If I need a complete shut down I simply turn off at the meter
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'm not particularly worried about a break before my meter, which is inside the basement.  Everything is copper.  I'm more interested in providing protection in the event something like my boiler incident happens again.  If the auto shutoff valve is right after the meter/backflow preventer I'll be happy. 

John
what I mean is I have a hose bib before the shut off at the exterior of the house so I can shut down the house and still have access to water.  

Meter - hose bib - shut off at exterior wall - all the crap that could fail inside while I am out

I am guessing those watering cat could also use a 5 gallon bottle 

[Image: crock-floor-inside.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What I'm looking for is info. from anyone who actually has a commercial product installed in their home.  I want an effective, convenient solution, and I'm willing to spend some money to have it. 

John
i pointed you to the floodmaster they work only issue is they only manage one device. I have a half dozen of them they are great for water heaters

These type valves are required at a lot of the condo associations around here http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_det...p?pid=3427  Picture is similar to link
[Image: watts-a2c-wb-m1-1.jpg]

Phil Thien

(09-19-2016, 07:18 PM)Bob10 Wrote: i pointed you to the floodmaster they work only issue is they only manage one device. I have a half dozen of them they are great for water heaters

These type valves are required at a lot of the condo associations around here http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_det...p?pid=3427  Picture is similar to link
[Image: watts-a2c-wb-m1-1.jpg]

Yes, thanks for posting that.  Floodmaster actually makes a main shutoff valve with multiple sensors; just what I'm looking for.  It's one system I'm considering.

John
My plumber recommended I get one of these. We are away often, my hot water tank is right beside my water intake so the cleanest setup. The unit itself is only $150 so I am doing this. I am doing a bit more research on them as I was looking for one that might give me a message on my phone, like an alarm system. I have located a couple that have contacts you can connect to a system, not quite what I am after - still looking.

The flood master is the one my plumber carries on his truck, he swears by it.

To me this is a no brainier for anyone, my son had a hot water tank go and it slow leaked for days running under the flooring before they noticed it.
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/