Bought some "Mahogany" from the Yard
(09-19-2016, 09:30 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: What's with #10 post about rsgold???????????????   Is this appropriate?  Permitted? Didn't think commercials like this were acceptable on the forum.

Are you in the right thread? If so I am totally cornfused
Confused  
Confused  
Confused
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Quartersawn wood is particularly popular these days with the interest in Arts and Crafts style furniture, among others. Vendors sell oak as quartersawn or plainsawn specifically. Unfortunately, many consumers depend on the vendor's declaration vis a vis QS or PS.
I have not seen this differentiation between QS and PS in mahogany. (Swietenia or Khaya)
To be an informed mahogany consumer, you have to know the difference without being told. You need to be able to identify ribbon, mottled ribbon, and other grain types within mahogany, how they occur, and how you can employ the various types.
Go to Certainly Wood's website. Look at "Full Length Exotics." Many mahoganies are sold there, with clear declarations of quarter sliced or plain sliced. Gain a familiarity with the different appearances. Do it the same way kids use flash cards for arithmetic. Get to where you can take one glance and say, "quartersawn." (Or whatever.)
Plain and Quartered. I'm not saying which is which. This has to be EASY! If you cannot easily get it right, you ain't ready!
[Image: MAHOG_1406_AF_2.JPG]
[Image: QT_MAHOG_1401-2_2.JPG]

[Image: MAHOG_1601-1_AF_4.JPG]
[Image: QT_MAHOG_1601-1_5.JPG]
Both Khaya Ivorensis.
African Mahogany.
wow, the plain sawn is really boring.  I'm not a big fan of African Mahogany, and I really don't think I could find a use for the plain sawn wood. At least the grain is interesting. Not sure what I'm going to do with the African Mahogany I have.  I tried to build a guitar neck with it, but it's incredibly heavy, so that's not a good use.

Back when I started hoarding wood, I would never see anything other than QS Mahogany or any of the other exotics.  I'm not sure if I have a lifetime supply of Honduras Mahogany, but at the current build rate I do. 
On the QS/FS front, I used to go through the racks at the big box stores looking for QS spruce, it's almost always in the low-price racks because the knots are so big.  FWW had an article about using it for drawer sides, which seems like a good idea.  Of course, a lot of times you get pith in there too, so the price per ussable board foot might not be that great.