PSA: DMT D8X - $18.25 - DMT D8X 8-Inch Dia-Sharp Continuous Diamond Extra-Coarse
I was just about to place an order from Amazon; then read your post. Thanks; I added one to my order.  Even 1 or 2 months wait doesn't matter; I haven't had one for 30 years. 

John
I ordered one, but just how coarse is "extra-coarse"?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
DMT says about 220

https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/benc...dia-sharp/
After some use, I think it would be around 400-600 grit waterstone equivalent.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he that hears my word, and believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life" --John 5:24
I've never used a DMT. How flat can I expect it to be?
The DMT solid-surface stones are pretty darn flat. I think that if you're flattening metal surfaces (e.g. the backs of chisels) and need to remove a lot of metal, you're better off with sandpaper on a patten. But they're certainly flat enough for everyday sharpening use.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I just received notification from Amazon that mine is on the way. I half expected this order to get cancelled. Anyone else already get theirs?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(11-05-2016, 06:20 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: I just received notification from Amazon that mine is on the way. I half expected this order to get cancelled. Anyone else already get theirs?

I got my shipping confirmation also.  
Big Grin
I received mine today, got the email it shipped Nov 3 and it came in the mail today Nov 5th. the amazon box was a bit beat up as they don't add much packing and it rattles around in there. but the plate is just fine and works good. Definitely a good deal
Mine is supposed to come  in another week, I think.  No shipping confirmation yet, though. 

John