Spokeshave Id help needed
Hi All,

I picked this up over the weekend and can't figure out who made it, and was hoping the cumulative brain trust on Woodnet could help me.
While the blade says Stanley, I can't find anything like it listed in Walter's wonderful book. The main casting has a notch in it that is exactly the size of the blade so I don't think it's a replacement. There are no marks at all on the casting that I can see. There is a stamp on one of the wood handles but I can't make it out (in certain light it looks like the end of Brooklyn then the initials NY)

[Image: d2e4426e-7aaf-4d18-8fad-d241e35c61f5.jpg]

[Image: 20160919_165908.jpg]

[Image: 20160919_165934.jpg]

[Image: 20160919_170048.jpg]

Thanks
Tom.
Big Grin 
---  DR Barton. 
I have one like that.  The cutter is marked DR Barton and the keeper for the cutter -slightly different than yours- is marked with a raised casting "B A R T O N"   .... but I don't have the nifty thumbscrews that yours does. They are plain thumbscrews. (I'm guessing replacements)

Smile

te
Looks like a keg shave.  Most likely the cutter is a replacement.  Could be a Barton- could also be made by L. & I. J White of Buffalo N.Y..  Those thumbscrews are often observed on shaves made by White, 'tho no reference has been found yet to clearly identify their maker (see Lamond, pgs. 286-287).  

-Steve

Manufactured and Patented Spokeshaves & Similar Tools, by Thomas C. Lamond
You were going to shoot a bear with a nail gun?*likes this*
-carl
Thanks te and Steve. I'll have to see if I can make out the stamp on the handle, maybe with a little more cleaning. Could be it turns out to be an owners mark but I doubt it. I guess Stanley made replacement blades for other scrapers and shaves?

Tom.
(09-21-2016, 08:00 AM)tshiker Wrote: Thanks te and Steve. I'll have to see if I can make out the stamp on the handle, maybe with a little more cleaning. Could be it turns out to be an owners mark but I doubt it. I guess Stanley made replacement blades for other scrapers and shaves?

Tom.

Tom,
Looks like there's more to the story.  I finally found my wood handled shaves and it turns out that one is nearly identical to yours- same handles, with the fancy thumbscrews and a Stanley cutter!  So that sent me back to Lamond's book to dig deeper on the Stanley shaves.  
On pg. 204 he states "There were thirty-four different spokeshaves advertised and confirmed as having been made by Stanley in the United States between 1869 and the mid-1970's."  Next paragraph continues ..."At this time, there is at least one other shave that should be added to that list except for the fact that no advertisement or catalog reference is known extant to corroborate the offering or give the shave a number.  That shave is a wood-handled cooper's shave with a cutter 2 5/8" wide."
The trademark on my cutter is a later one than yours, the "T" trademark, but otherwise seems identical.
PM me if you'd like a photo, since i don't have one of those bucket accounts 
Crazy
Steve
-carl
(09-27-2016, 07:03 AM)CrippleCreekAK Wrote: Tom,
Looks like there's more to the story.  I finally found my wood handled shaves and it turns out that one is nearly identical to yours- same handles, with the fancy thumbscrews and a Stanley cutter!  So that sent me back to Lamond's book to dig deeper on the Stanley shaves.  
On pg. 204 he states "There were thirty-four different spokeshaves advertised and confirmed as having been made by Stanley in the United States between 1869 and the mid-1970's."  Next paragraph continues ..."At this time, there is at least one other shave that should be added to that list except for the fact that no advertisement or catalog reference is known extant to corroborate the offering or give the shave a number.  That shave is a wood-handled cooper's shave with a cutter 2 5/8" wide."
The trademark on my cutter is a later one than yours, the "T" trademark, but otherwise seems identical.
PM me if you'd like a photo, since i don't have one of those bucket accounts 
Crazy
Steve

Wow thanks Steve! This is fantastic info! I had a gut feeling that the blade was not a replacement but no facts to back it up. PM sent. I will post the pictures on this thread for all to see.

Tom.
Is that really a spokeshave? It looks more to me like a scraper. What's the cutting angle look like?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(09-29-2016, 12:52 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Is that really a spokeshave?  It looks more to me like a scraper.  What's the cutting angle look like?

Could be distortion in the photos.  Bedding angle of mine is 45 degrees, with the blade bevel down.  Might show a little better when Tom gets my pics posted.

Steve
-carl
Here are the pictures Steve sent (Thank you Steve!) as well as a new one I took showing the blade angle. I started doing a little research and going off of the logo on my blade, it looks like this shave was made between 1874 and 1884 ( TmJ   c.1874-1884 from Bob Kaune's website) so we know that if this is a Stanley made shave, it was made as far back as 1874. In John Walters book Stanley Tools, Stanley first offered spoke shaves in their 1870 price list and that those models came to them via a license agreement with Leonard Bailey who made them prior to the 1870 agreement. So if this was made  five years earlier it would have a Bailey trade mark. That's all I have time for today. Feel free to comment and disagree!

[Image: 20161001_110317.jpg]

[Image: shave3.jpg]

[Image: shave1.jpg]

[Image: shave2.jpg]
Ah, I see it now! Nice tight mouth on that shave, too.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop